EGYPT visas

Jul 22nd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

EGYPT visas

we are UK and Swiss travelling in a few weeks to Cairo. Does anyone have any info or recommendations about how to get visas?

I heard there may be long queues at the airport. Would this still be true if we arrive after midnite?

thanks

Jul 22nd, 2008, 01:13 PM

As long as flights are arriving the Visa window is open. And, depending on how many flights land at the same time.

Long or short queues, you still have to wait for your luggage, so might as well have something to do then be tapping your foot wondering what's taking them so long.

We got our visas within 5/min if that helps and there were easily 300 pax on our plane.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

thanks. im assuming swiss nationals can get visas at the airport too? the rules all say eu citizens
Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:55 AM

There are flights arriving into Cairo at all hours of the night/morning. Should be no problem finding an open visa window!

When my son and I went back last October, we were laughing because it was one of the only time we had EVER landed in Cairo during the daytime!!!
Jul 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM

I was startled - you get the visas at a bank office at the airport - at least that's where we got ours. I was expecting an immigration office, but no, it was in a bank. Kind of a statement, no? And, there was no line at all.
Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:02 PM

It's the same thing in Turkey....you just walk up to the window, pay your money, and they put the visa (just a stamp) in your passport. Simple as pie!
Jul 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM

I guess I didn't know that Switzerland wasn't in the EU. I'm not as worldly as I thought.
Jul 27th, 2008, 10:00 AM

<<I heard there may be long queues at the airport. Would this still be true if we arrive after midnite?>>

Even if there is a line it moves very quickly. I have a U.S. passport and handed the clerk the money (I think $15) and my passport and he picked up a visa, put it with my passport and handed it back, no conversation, probably took 30 seconds. I had my visa and gone through passport control long before my luggage showed up.

You will need to check about the visa fee for Swiss and UK passports.

I wouldn't worry about the line but it would help if you have the correct fee in your hand.