Search

hotels in Sharm el Sheik

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotels in Sharm el Sheik

Our travel agent has suggested a six day stay at the Sheraton Sharm Resort after our two weeks travelling on the Nile. Usually we like to stay in small hotels with lots of charm etc. but keep hearing that they don't exist in this resort area. Any suggestions welcomed. We are not back packing kids.

Marilyn
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 09:32 PM

To my knowledge, there aren't any small boutique hotels in Sharm. I have not stayed at the Sheraton, but I have several friends who have said it is very nice. Other nice choices are the Hyatt, the Movenpick Golf, the Intercontinental, and the Conrad.

Keep in mind, Sharm doesn't have much of a beach (although I think the Sheraton has a small one). The reef is right at the shoreline - which is why it's such a hot diving and snorkling resort.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:12 AM

I agree with What Grcxx3 said. The sheraton in Sharm is right along the boardwalk and has a small beach. In sharm you have two options to either stay in Namm Bay where you will be able to walk to the "downtown" area or stay in a Huge resort away from the boardwalk. We did both. Three days at the Savoy a very nice hotel with a great bay and snorkeling and then two days at the Marriot on the boardwalk. DO NOT stay at the Marriot. They had terrible service. They forgot to pick us up from the airport so we stood outside at 9:00pm at night for an hour waiting for them to come and get us and then when we got there they stuck us in the worst room next to the arcade. Needless to say we complained very loudly and ended up moving hotels. But there are plenty of hotels to choose from in Sharm. Although not small the Hilton on the beach looked very nice as well. Good luck.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 11:08 PM

I happened to see a brochure of the Sheraton in Sharm yesterday and it looked lovely. It seems like a great place to just kick back and relax. Of course, I don't know what time of year you are going. BUt even if it is too chilly for swimming or sunning - just sitting by the beach and reading would be nice.

In my previous list of other Sharm hotel choices - I forgot to mention the Four Seasons - the favorite place of one of my friends.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 01:45 AM

Hello! I have just returned from Egypt and spent a week in Sharm in Naama bay. It was well worth the stay ! I agree with some of the others that there are no boutique hotels unfortunately inSharm: it is all international hotels with package tourists.. and as a consequence bad service and bland food ( buffet and all that) .. The Sheraton is nice but I think that being in Naama bay is better as you could walk around in the evening and snorkel and swim from shore. all the action and crowd is in Naama bay! Hotel Recommendation: Hilton Dreams is very nice or the Fayrouz which is right on a long stretrch of beach.. The Ritz is actually not much more expensive thatn the Hyatt but it is further away from Naama bay. The Four seasons is very nice but I think too expensive for what it is - the Rits is better value and the Lebanese restaurant there is a MUST - I don't understand why fodor's never included this restaurant in the guide! Finally: Do not Stay in the MArriott!!! I agree with the previous post! WE had to move out from the hotel as it is NOISY on the beach - they have music blasting out on the beach for 4 hours each day and staff is rude. I think this is the result of having to deal with package tourists all the time who won't necessaraly challenge bad service and/or food.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 04:00 AM

Just returned last week after a week at the Hilton at Sharks Bay. Good all inclusive hotel that even for it's size did not seem overcrowded. A note on the Sheraton. Friends we met on the Nile cruise stayed there and told us that the site was very spread out. They were in the main building but others were in rooms that were a ten minute walk away from the main complex. Don't know if that makes a difference to you.