Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egypt

Hi all - I am brand new to this site and am hoping to get ideas from you. Read so many of your comments and thought you would be most helpful.
My husband and I are planning a trip to Egypt first then Israel. We have 14 full days of touring available to us. I want to see all the Egyptian hightlights and go on a 3 night Nile cruise. And I to see the highlights of Israel. The problem I have come across is that most tours start in Israel and end in Egypt and fllights to Israel from Egypt are very inconvenient.
I haven't found one tour that goes that way and don't want to have to take 2 separate tours. Does anyone know of one tour or tour company that might be able to help me tour both places starting with Egypt first. In Israel I am not looking to go on a religious tour, rather historical. A small group would be perfect. Thanks so much!!!!!
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 06:51 AM

Imaginative Traveler has a Egypt then Israel tour but it's 21 days (http://www.imaginative-traveller.com.../gepk/534925/1).
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 07:07 AM

Sometimes you have to do two back-to-back tours that has more to do with logistics of getting between countries.

I know that Gate 1 (in the Phila, PA area) and Isram Travel (NYC) both have tours to both countries. Check them out for details.

Most Egypt tours that cover a few days Cairo, a Nile Cruise and maybe visit at Luxor and Abu Simbel run 9/days; balance would then be Israel and don't forget the time needed for travel to/from/between.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

thx sandi - I'll check it out.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 10:59 AM
P_M

I've taken Gate 1's Israel tour and it was fabulous. You might look into Lady Egypt for the Egypt part. Many posters (myself included) were very happy with the price and flexibility Lady Egypt offers. 14 days isn't much time for both of these countries but you can see most of what you want.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 04:20 PM

I haven't been to Israel yet--and actually was poking around this forum to learn to plan a trip--but I can help out with your Egypt question. The best Nile cruises are separate from full country Egypt tours. My husband and I visited Egypt in 2009 and took the Steamship Sudan and LOVED it. Really charming; in fact the BBC adaptation of Death on the Nile was filmed on the boat because it is so accurately exemplifies colonial tourism. And the food and guides were excellent; it's a French owned boat and the attention to cuisine and historical detail reflected this. Besides the cruise, the only other thing you need to book in Egypt for a trip of your duration is Cairo/Giza. Just book a hotel and the concierge can arrange your daily sightseeing tours. (We initially went with a guide through Lonely Planet, and it didn't turn out well, and then went with a guide our hotel suggested and loved it, which is counter-intuitive because in other country would I rely on the guide advice of a concierge. However, in Egypt there are some safety issues with some guides and working through the hotel is the most same option and you get the best quality too.) Mena House is my top recommendation for the area, but you have tons of choices, and a hotel in Cairo will maximize your sightseeing in the region (we stayed at the Sheraton actually using Starwood points and were pleasantly pleased). You'll need at least a full day to see the pyramids, and 2 days for Cairo. Hope this helps.