Egypt

Old Feb 11th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egypt

It appears I will be going to Egypt in October. Tips needed. Hotels,flights etc. preplanned by business, but will have several afternoons free and hope to stay and take the cruise after to Luxor. Let the suggestions begin. thanks
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 11:59 PM

I am going in September to Egypt and my big tip from what folks say here is to BOOK EARLY (especially flights) I'm going with Lady Egypt Tours on a private tour. They would have guides and drivers to supply for the days you need it I am sure.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 10:16 AM

JoanneH - I don't know if this is right, but the way you wrote your post it sounds as if you are under the impression you can cruise from Cairo to Luxor. If so, not true. You can fly to Luxor or Aswan and cruise to the other on a 3 or 4 night cruise, depending on which way you go.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Your are correct about the cruise-I was thinking going to Luxor and doing a cruise. For me its a windfall another person at work was suppose to go but they have changed their mind and so the job was offered to me, the business is taking care of plane etc. so that's off my back. I just have to work 7 days at a meeting taking notes etc. <G>
But these things usually do give one some free time.
So I am interesting in knowing about clothes, taxi's, places to eat besides the hotel,do I need any shots that kind of stuff.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 12:24 PM

You can arrange sightseeing for your free time thru your hotel, where they provide guide/driver, such as:
- half-day Giza for Pyramids/Sphinx
- maybe add Memphis and Saqqara
- half-day Museum
- half-day Khan al Khalili Bazaar
- half-day Old & Coptic Cairo
- arrange for transport (rail or air) to Luxor or Aswan and the Nile Cruise; maybe add the extension to Abu Simbel (south of Aswan).

Or, you can contact an in-country tour operator as Lady Egypt, who's been getting good reviews, to arrange. Even, our good friend Debbie of Casual_Cairo at [email protected].

Shots/inoculations aren't required specifically for Egypt, but it is a good idea for adults who haven't been jabbed since childhood, regardless whether traveling or staying home, be protected. Such as Tetanus and Hep A, both of which can be contracted at home; both last minimum 10/yrs for Tetanus and the newer HepA, might now last a lifetime. Even a Polio booster which will last a lifetime. Discuss with your personal physician as these relate to your own health history.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

As I have horses I am up to date on Tetanus but thanks for the tip on HepA.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 12:26 PM

As you have horses, there are a couple of things you might be interested to do while you are here.
1) Horse back riding at the Giza Pyramids, or take a longer ride between Giza and Sakkara through the desert
2) Visit El Zahraa Farm. This is the Egyptian Ministry of Agricultures Arabian Horse Stud Farm.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 07:47 PM

I second the motion to have Debbie of Casual_Cairo show you

around at least one of your days in Cairo.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the horse tip I would love to see it.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 07:08 PM

When you take a camel or horse ride around the Giza Pyramids, can you ask them to stop for you to take pictures?
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone keep those ideas coming in.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 11:18 AM

Axel2DP - My advise is to use NB Stables and let Nasr be your guide. He is a master with the camera. But short of being able to do that, sure, they will stop and let you take pictures. Actually, if you are on horses, stop the horse yourself and take a picture! If you are on a camel maybe that is a bit harder to do on your own, but they will stop if you ask them to. If all else fails, tell them their tip depends on it.