Search

Nile Cruise Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nile Cruise Question

Should the 3-4 day Nile cruise be taken from Luxor to Aswan, or Aswan to Luxor? Any advantages/disadvantages to going in a particular direction?

Also, I read in an earlier post (or maybe on a website) that on some of the ships, every cabin has a balcony. Does anyone know which those might be?
Thanks - this trip is finally coming together!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:04 PM
sandi

It shouldn't make any differency whether you cruise Luxor/Aswan or Aswan/Luxor.

Just remember that if you are doing a trip to Abu Simbel, it can be done by flying Cairo via Aswan (some flights actually go straight to Abu Simbel - no stop Aswan) to Abu Simbel, then return to Aswan and commence cruise to Luxor. Or fly Cairo to Luxor, cruise to Aswan, then fly to Abu Simbel then fly back to Cairo.

As to balconies, the Oberoi Philae definitely has, though is one of the more expensive boats. There are also a number of newer boats that have come online that might have balconies, but I'm sorry not to have specifics. Unless someone does have names of boats, it's best you have whomever is handling your bookings advise. Just remember that a balcony doesn't necessarily mean a better boat - cabins, food, other services.

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:51 PM

I think it makes more sense to go Cairo to Luxor to Aswan. You go from the oldest temples/tombs to the newest temples/tombs. It makes more sense to go in chronological order. Having spent 14 days in Egypt in 10/04, I recommend Ramses I or II as a great cruise ship and well worth the money. Increased costs it is largely reflected in higher quality food.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:21 PM
sandi

Our private guide with us at the Egyptian Museum also said we should see everything from the oldest to the newest. But the Museum was so crowded, I suggested instead of starting on the lower floor and moving upstairs, we reverse our visit to the crowds. His response, "we should see everything in order" To which I responded, "it's all old, it doesn't matter." We started upstairs and worked our way downstairs and had no crowds around us.

Personally, I feel the same way regarding the route along the Nile. In the end, you're not likely to miss anything if you travel Luxor/Aswan or Aswan/Luxor - unless you're a student of Egyptian History and the order of the Dynasties matters.

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 07:37 AM

While going from Luxor to Aswan (oldest to youngest) makes some sense...to me, the most spectacular sights are in Luxor and I like leaving those to the end.

Of course, all the temples along the Nile are great, but there is something special about Karnak and Luxor temples. A great way to end a trip.

In short - both directions have their advantages! Do whatever fits best with your schedule.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 11:39 AM

I just got back from holiday to Kenya, Tanzania & then Egypt. My opinion would be to cruise from Aswan to Luxor because Luxor has much more going on than Aswan & you build up to the Karnak Temple. The other way you start out with a bang & end on a whim. Although Abu Simbel is nice & can be done from either direction though it is closer to Aswan & would make since to see it while near Aswan. And the boat makes a big difference. You will see when you get there that there are literally hundreds of boats of various different levels & I found most boats didn't come with balconies. I stayed on the Oberoi Philae which all rooms have balconies but I never once sat on my balcony, I was always on top the sun deck, day or night.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 08:40 PM

Has anyone been on the Sonesta Moon Goddess Cruiser? This is the cruise I'm am about to book.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 09:27 AM

I'm told that the wealthy Egyptians & ex-pats only travel on Sonesta & Oberoi lines. I was on the Moon Goddess -- nice clean boat, does have a balcony for each room, with a friendly, attentive staff. I was ill with the stomach flu one day & they babied me with tea, called to see how I was doing, etc.

We had tour groups from Spain, Chile, and Taiwan. While I was on the boat I was placed with a group of independent English speaking travelers from So. Africa, England, US, Canada, & Australia who were diverse, educated & interesting.

There are events every night. No pressure to participate, but they are fun (if a little hokey.) Would use them again.