Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Effective January 1, 2007 Delta Skymiles will expire after two years without any activity

Search

Effective January 1, 2007 Delta Skymiles will expire after two years without any activity

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this on the airlines forum and am cross posting it here.

This is a change from the previous expiration of 3 years without activity.

Since all Skymiles expiration dates are currently set to December 31, this means you actually have anywhere from a 24-35 month grace period depending on what month your last activity occurred. This assumes they don't change to a rolling expiration date come January.

Activity is anything that earns Skymiles or redemption which resets your expiration date to December 31 three (soon to be two) years from now. A mileage transfer out of a Skymiles account doesn't reset the expiration date.

Just FYI.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...jsp#expiration
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the FYI Patty. They just make it tougher and tougher, don't they?

<font color="green">Cyn</font>
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 03:49 AM

Patty...
So, as long as I keep using my Delta Skymiles AMEX I am OK? I am banking on using these miles for my next safari.
Teri
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 04:48 AM

It should be fairly easy to do a very short mileage run at little expense for most people, if you have no other activity. I would have thought miles earned on DElta Amex would keep renewing the two year period, so nothing to worry about, but you could check with them direct.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Teri,
Yes, basically anything that earns miles is considered activity, so you'd be fine.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Another quick, easy and cheap way to extend your expiration would be to sign up and register a credit card (doesn't have to be an airline affiliated credit card, any credit card will do) for Skymiles Dining and dine at one of the participating restaurants. You'll earn 3 miles per $1 spent which counts as activity.

http://skymiles.rewardsnetwork.com/
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

I checked the DL link again today and they've changed the language on their website about the new mileage expiration policy since yesterday.

They're now making it effective December 31, 2006 AND retroactive. In other words, if you had no activity in 2005 or 2006, your miles will expire at the end of this year!