East Africa Trip Report

Mar 31st, 2007, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

East Africa Trip Report

This is a late report. Thanks for all the help and info last year I got here! I traversed the East Africa land end of June and early of July last year. Caught a glimpse of the tail of the migration. The flamingos by the Nakuru Lake died out one quarter due to shrinking water. But the animals were still great! My itinerary was Nairobi->Arusha (safari Northern circuit)-> Nairobi (safari Nakuru, Baringo) -> Zambia (Vic Falls). As I reflect upon my trip, I now figure the Kenya safari was a bad choice, I should have gone to Tsavo. Not many birds in Baringo since it was not primary birding time. But Vic Falls in Zambia was just amazing! Several Tips for future travellers:

1). When I tried to book air tickets from Nairobi to Lusaka, I couldn't find a decent price on any US agents or internet. So I emailed Let's go in Nairobi, they can offer discounted tickets on Kenya Airlines.

2) Let's Go is a famous travel agent in Kenya, but their guides have become very money-oriented in safaris. In terms of money safety or trip reliability, yeah, you can trust them, but I don't think the safari experience is as comparable as what we got in Tanzania. People in Tanzania are far more sincere.

3) We used Sunny Safari, a company in Arusha. We are very satisfied with our trip and our guide.

For more trip details and photos, you can visit our homepage: http://sxli.net
Just click on Album, then Africa.

Enjoy your trip!
Apr 1st, 2007, 04:33 AM

Thanks for sharing. Next time you might want to try the Mara and Samburu for some different game viewing. However, you would not see the flamingos and likely the rhinos you saw at the lakes.

Kevin from (Thousand Oaks) California
Apr 1st, 2007, 05:31 AM

You covered a lot of ground in Africa. Can you tell us what you mean by the Let's Go guides have become money oriented? I guess we are all money oriented, but I wondered how that came out. Were they suggesting tip amounts? Were they complaining about low pay?
Apr 1st, 2007, 05:39 AM

Just checked out your report and photos.
You have beautiful flamingo pix from Nakuru and wonderful closeup rhino shots as well. You really saw a nice variety of birds in Lake Baringo, even if it was not prime birding time, along with the reptiles and even ants.

Tanzania had some good birds for you, among other animals. Nice Grey headed Kingfisher. It's hard to catch those quick footed mongoose.
Apr 1st, 2007, 08:18 AM

Great trip, great photos, great narrative to go along with the photos. Thanks for sharing.
Apr 1st, 2007, 02:20 PM

If you are willing to share, I would be interested in knowing what your plane tickets cost from Nairobi to Lusaka. I am going to be in Kenya/Tanzania in June/July of this year and was considering a side trip to the falls but the plane tickets are sooo expensive!

Thank you.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

By "money-oriented", I mean they would constantly remind u that your tips were the key component in determining your trip's quality...... Best practice is probably to give them a generous tip at the beginning of every day... And even so, they wouldn't share your passion to sight animals, but more keen to be on schedule...

My air ticket from Nairobi to Lusaka round trip was around 500 US dollars per person in end of June.