Dust Covers for Nikon D-200 and 80-400mm, and a Panasonic FZ218

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am having trouble finding appropriate "dust covers" for our cameras and my 80-400mm lens for the safari coming up in early June. If anyone can recommend a company, I'd love it. I'm finding rain shields, they're opaque.. I thought dust covers would be see thru.. so you can see the LCD screens ontop, etc. This is confusing! Thanks again! (B&H said they had camera skings for 55$ for the Nikon D-200 and some tother thing for the lens.. a material of some sort.. that didn't sound like what I wanted. Also, people suggest "beanbags" to rest long lenses like mine, on the car's edge, to stabilize it. Any idea where these little things can be found? Thanks again.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:13 AM

B&H may have been talking about the "Zing" neophrene camera covers, but I don't think they would work with that big a lens. Some people just take a pillowcase and keep the camera in it until the vehicle stops. Most of the dust comes from when the vehicle is moving around.

Your safari outfitter may be able to provide beanbags. Check with them. If not, you could make the bag and take it empty, then stop off at a market and buy the beans to put in it.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I read another post where someone got a waterproof pillowcase from walmart and used it as a cover, that sounds very practical...also the ziplock bag idea for the "Beanbag"... put rice or beans in it.
Cool!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:07 AM

Try this website as well for the Safarisacks, beanbags, etc. They have all kinds of cool stuff for cameras.

http://www.kgear.com/

And here's the link to take you directly to the safarisack page on the kgear site.

http://www.kgear.com/r/R420.html
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I will check those out. Now I am trying to find the post where some people were talking about duffle bags and the ones to bring. We are limited to 33 pounds total weight for carry on plus checked luggage and they prefer duffels to rolling wheel type luggage... trying to find out where that post was!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I ordered the safari sack - I hope it's worth the extra weight! (not much weight.. but it is over a pound)
From what I read, you partially fill it, then drape it over the window of the rover, so it sort of settles the long lens, right?
I didn't quite get what they mean by having it at the top of the vehicle with the strap to secure it?!
Do people actually climb up and shoot from the top of the vehicle, and does this simply act as a non-slip pad of sorts?
I hope I can get a bunch of dried beans or rice easily when I reach the final (shooting) destination!
Thanks again!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Oh, heck, it's only 6 ounces...that's nothing!
I must have been looking at the larger one.
That's good!
Thank you.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM

We bought the waterproof pillow cases from Wal Mart. They were cheap-got one for the camera and one for the camcorder. Bean bag-haven't decided to buy the safari sack or make one (seems easy to do) or just go to a toy store and buy one. We are spending 2 nights in Nairobi before and 1 night after so we were told could leave suitcase at the hotel. Spending a week in London after so have to pack clothes for that as well. Bought soft sided duffels from Eastern Mountain Sports (REI carries them also) which flatten enough to go in the larger suitcase. When we get to Nairobi will take out our "safari clothing" and pack that in the soft sided duffles. I think I paid maybe $60 on sale for 1 duffle bag. Also have Eagle Creek pack it systems-they are great-keep clothes practically wrinkle free and so easy to organize your suitcase. Can find them at REI or The container Store www.REI.com or www.containerstore.com We're not going until August so post a trip report and let us know how you did. Have a great trip!