British Airways Limits of Liability

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying to London on 8/21, and am nervous that packing my laptop and new camera will break while in my carry on luggage. I'm curious if BA will cover damaged luggage (especially given the circumstances). Or should I get some kind of insurance for my electronics?
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 09:16 PM

Read the website as far as the limits of liability go. But what's the use of risking breakage and counting on maybe - very maybe - getting some money back? It's up to you to make sure breakage won't occur. Pack them in hardsided luggage and use heavy-duty bubblewrap and styrofoam bits and anything else you would use if you were a merchant shipping those items to a customer. Pack and brace it so it can survive a fall from 6 feet onto concrete. It can be done, musicians with instruments and sound engineers with sensitive microphones and computer people with critical gear and so on do it every day of the year. And insure the items if you find a policy that covers them while they're in checked luggage.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 12:37 AM

Ethafoam..flexible plastic, one inch thick can be built around your camera and laptop. Rolls of paper towels/toilet paper can be formed to achieve the same resuls. Secure with packing tape.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 06:29 AM

What about theft issues with packing your laptop and camera in the checked cargo baggage? I am reluctant to take my laptop if I can't keep it with me because of theft concerns in the baggage handling. How often do people find items missing from their checked baggage. Can the baggage handlers "see" inside the baggage without opening it while it is being processed?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 07:25 AM

"How often do people find items missing from their checked baggage"

I have never heard of anybody stealing something from a luggage. And nothing has disappeared from my luggage during the 40 years I have been travelling. I suppose it happens, I just have not heard of it.

Luggage people donīt have time for screening the luggages, they are way too busy unloading and loading.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Of course things get stolent from luggage! Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen (conversely, members of our family HAVE had things stolen from their luggage, but that doesn't mean somebody will steal from yours). I'm sure 99.9% of baggage handlers are hardworking and honest, but there is always that .1%. And neither airlines nor most travel insurance companies are willing to pay up for stolen/damaged electronics.
Yesterday, on the train into London, I chatted with a Canadian woman wh has been here all week on business. She has decided to Fedex her laptop back to the office rather than risk putting it in her luggage. Perhaps that is an option for you.
In The Times (UK) yesterday, there was an article about travel insurance companies. The overwhelming majority are flat out refusing to cover claims involving theft of or damage to eletronics, jewelry etc. while in checked baggage. Basically, the rule of thumb (for the moment) is that if you can't afford to risk losing something or having it damaged in, don't bring it. Because you'll essentially be SOL if something goes wrong.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM

One thing that I thought about with the new check in rules is that there will be more things for baggage handlers to steal. Yes, they do steal and it's a fact. It's just fortunate if your luggage makes it safely without having anything taken out or having the entire thing go missing.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

I'm quite concerned now, I fly 5-6 times a year and have never had anything lost, broken or stolen. Unfortunately, because I'm go abroad for a semester I have to bring both a camera and laptop. Do you guys think that I can stick both between my clothing, and the electronics will go without being noticed? Also, can I put a small shipping box in my luggage?
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 08:57 AM
kit

Bad plan...the clothes thing. It won't work.

Ship them ahead to your hotel/dorm/housing situation...and have fun!
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 09:01 AM
kit

Forgive me, jy, I interpreted your message as asking whether you could hide these things on yourself -- not in the suitcase.

I have packed my laptap between many layers of clothing in a large suitcase many times to China. Worked everytime. Try to hide your camera in a boot or something.

I still would probably ship them ahead -- especially since you'll be there a whole semester and the cost would seem somewhat amortized -- but understand that it is also a liitle pricey. Have fun!