Search

duffel for federal air south Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2023, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
duffel for federal air south Africa

Hello
We will be taking Federal Air from Ngala to Phinda in South Africa one way and then onto Cape Town. So luggage storage with Federal air is not an option here.

Could people recommend some rolling duffel bags they have used for federal air and international flight for a 2 weeks trip?

I understand their weight and dimension requirement and also soft sides requirement. Some one suggested eagle creek no matter what rolling duffel, but the smaller size is 30 inches which is bigger than 24 inches on federal air website.

If somebody can give me the exact brand and model they have used on federal air, it's greatly appreciated.

thank you
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 10:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have not flown Federal Air, but I've taken this on the small bush planes in Kenya no problem. Lipault carry-on Dimensions are 21.7" × 14.6" × 8.7" and it's remarkably light. Wheels are recessed so no risk of them snapping off in the holds. Check to see that your safari camps do laundry, and you won't have to take as much clothing.
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by amyb
I have not flown Federal Air, but I've taken this on the small bush planes in Kenya no problem. Lipault carry-on Dimensions are 21.7" × 14.6" × 8.7" and it's remarkably light. Wheels are recessed so no risk of them snapping off in the holds. Check to see that your safari camps do laundry, and you won't have to take as much clothing.

I'm very happy with my LL Bean duffel. Mine does not have wheels but they do make them with wheels. I should tell you that I've taken a number of trips with that carrier and not once has my bag been weighed or measured.
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
I'm very happy with my LL Bean duffel. Mine does not have wheels but they do make them with wheels. I should tell you that I've taken a number of trips with that carrier and not once has my bag been weighed or measured.
Thank you both for reply!

ekscrunchy, could you please tell me the exact model of LL bean duffel you use?

thanks agin
Old Jun 7th, 2023, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by cd98
Thank you both for reply!

ekscrunchy, could you please tell me the exact model of LL bean duffel you use?

thanks agin

I'm sorry but I looked at the LLBean site and mine is no longer offered. I did see it for re-sale on eBay but it's $150, about $100 more than I paid. If you want, I can link it here....it's just a plann khaki colored bag..I got the largest size, I think. The ones they offer now are much more "fancy" than my very plain one.....but they are a great company and so is Eagle Creek..I use Eagle Creek carry ons with wheels and love them....but not for the small planes in Africa. If you have an Army/Navy store nearby (if they even have those stores anymore) I bet you could find something good there.....like a bag used in the military. You don't need wheels. You baarely touch your bag if you are on any kind of semi upscale safari trip..they are always carried for you by staff.

I have friends who went to Phinda and loved it. And CapeTown....WOW is all I can say!

Again, do not worry about the size...youu cannot imagine the hard-sided huge Rimowa type bags I've seen being loaded onto those tiny planes in Botswana. Pretty ridiculous. You know they do your laundry for you, right? And you do not need to dress up at all for dinner.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Jun 7th, 2023 at 06:48 AM.
Old Jun 7th, 2023, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi ekscrunchy
Thanks again for your message.
I think I found a duffel that will work from Eagle Creek.

When we went to SA (Cape Town, JNB and our first safari) and Victoria Falls last year, we stayed at Savanna in Sabi Sands and used our regular luggage with Airlink without any issue. We loved safari so much that we are going back this year to stay at Phinda and Ngala and then to Cape Town again. So first time with federal air and bush planes.
Haven't been to Botswana. Could you please compare Botswana safari with SA safari if you have been to both?

thanks again
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 10:00 AM

That happpaned to me! My fist safari in southern Africa (I'd been to Kenya before) was to CT, Blue Train north (long story, train broke down!) Sabi Sands, Vic Falls (stayed on Zam side but visited Zim for Falls), then on to 2 (I think) camps in Botswana. After that it was just a matter of time before I returned--to SA (Londolozi has my heart), Botswana, and the last trip, just before COVID, to Zimbabwe.

Main difference with most Botswana camps is that they are not accessible by road, you ahve to use those tiny planes, sometimes 4 seaters. And there is a wilder feel in general, I think. All those camps have to be able to be collapsed but you really would not know that being there. Mostly tents rather than the cottages in the upscale camps in SA. I've been a few times to Botswana and SA, and the one trip which was only Zim, four camps there. LOVED Zimbabwe...loved them all!!!