Need tour guides in Cape Town and Johannesburg

Old May 17th, 2019, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need tour guides in Cape Town and Johannesburg

My husband i are traveling to South Africa and Botswana and Zimbabwe . We are traveling on our own and love the idea of meeting people, learning about history and of course discovering new Art and great food. . We are looking for recommendations for tour guides in Capetown and Johannesburg.

Just to give you an overview - this is our schedule in South Africa

* 6 days on a safari in Zulu Nyala in Swaziland ( I think the town is Hiuhluwe)

* 4 days in Cape Town - Tamboerskloof: Cape Cadogan

* 2 camps in Botswane and then Zimbabwe - Safari activities and different lodges.

* 3 days in Johannesburg - Athol Place hotel

we particularly want tour guides in Capetown and Johannesburg. Suggestions? We do want to see the art world and museums in Johannesburg. Restaurant recommendations are welcome too. Thanks.
Old May 18th, 2019, 04:48 AM

You are staying in a nice part of Cape Town. It’s quite easy to guide yourself around if you wish. Uber is inexpensive and safe for short trips around the city, but you may want a private driver for trips to Cape Point and the winelands. I’m fortunate enough to have family that lives in CT, so transport is not a problem for me. You can arrange reliable private drivers through your hotel.

One suggestion: plan Table Mountain for the first day if you can. The cableway is closed when winds are too strong, but when you book your tickets online they are good for 7 days from the date you specify, so you can pick a day when visibility is good.
https://www.tablemountain.net/
Old May 20th, 2019, 03:04 PM

Charlie Ratcliffe is a great guide in CT. Connect through www.SOUTHERNDESTINATIONS.COM.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy View Post
Charlie Ratcliffe is a great guide in CT. Connect through www.SOUTHERNDESTINATIONS.COM.
I second Charlie! We hired him in November 2018 for 3 days touring around Capetown. Very personable and knowledgeable!
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 05:10 AM

Emogil: Would you mind sharing why you chose Atholl Place? I am thinking of booking there in September prior to visit to Zimbabwe.

Where are you headed in Zimbabwe, if you do not mind my asking.....

Charlie is beyond fabulous but the agency he often works with has other stellar guides as well, in case CR is booked.... (www.southerndestinations.com)
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 06:15 AM

For Johannesburg, we used Rambling Robin, Rambling Robin Tours Home. Not realizing that she could be booked independently, we booked her through Tours by Locals, Johannesburg. She also has a Facebook site.
Old Jun 29th, 2019, 04:50 PM

Just returned from Capetown a few weeks ago. We used Wow Cape Town Tours and the owner, Rushdi, was our guide. We did a private full day tour of the Cape Peninsula and it was wonderful. He is local and we had some very interesting discussions about how things used to be, how they are today, politics, etc etc. A very nice informative gentleman.

We also used Uber every day, it was super cheap, very quick response, very nice drivers, never had a problem.

If you like Modern Art I can highly recommend the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary African Art in the interesting Silo building at the V&A Waterfront. My husband, 25 year old son and I spent hours in there, the art was beautiful and powerful.
There is a nice cafe upstairs with a lovely view.

Have fun! I completely fell in love with South Africa.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 04:56 PM

I asked a few questions up above..would you mind answering them when you get a moment? Thank youl
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 06:28 AM

I emailed Southern Destinations but never heard back
I'm looking at Take 2 Tours - anyone ever go with them.
Lots of good review.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kkimkim View Post
I emailed Southern Destinations but never heard back
I'm looking at Take 2 Tours - anyone ever go with them.
Lots of good review.

You can reach Charlie yourself, here.
https://charlesratcliffetours.com/

I booked my upcoming SA trip through Southern Destinations based on recommendations read here but unfortunately I am not experiencing the exceptional service others have.

Old Sep 14th, 2019, 04:45 AM

In Cape Town I took a few of the tip-based walks that leave from the area of Greenmarket Square. There are two different companies that operate there. I enjoyed both tours.

There is also a Hop On Hop Off bus, but I didn't use it.

PS I wish it didn't take 24 hours to reach SA from California, would love to go back. February is actually a good month (for South Africa, can't speak to the other two countries), despite what everyone else will tell you...Especially if you want to get away from rain and cold in the Northern Hemisphere.

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 14th, 2019 at 04:51 AM.
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 12:17 PM

I've used Charlie Ratcliffe several times but for my last trip to Capetown, in October, he was booked. I found another guide (or, rather, Southern Destinations found him foro me) to who(m) I would give my highest recommendation:

DavidCarswell

email: [email protected]
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 08:57 AM

Tour Guide Help- Charlie's contact info?

Hi there! Traveling to Cape Town next month and hoping to work with a private tour guide who can provide a more personal and unique experience.
Everyones comments about Charlie sound great- the website provided did not work. Does anyone has his contact information or info on any other tour guides they can recommend?
Many thanks!!
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 04:42 AM

Charles Ratcliffe | Photos and Africa

I booked Charlie, twice, through www.southerndestinations.com

If he is busy, this guide is excellent; we used him a few months ago when Charlie was busy, as is often the case:

DAVID CARSWELL

[email protected]
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 05:04 AM

I went through Take 2 Tours and we had a good day - stopping at a few places we knew we wanted to go and a few of the other must see places (boulders beach...). It was a good day, the guide was very knowledgeable and they were very responsive. I don't think I ever heard back from Southern Destinations.
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 05:07 AM

I had never used the hop on/off bus before and it worked out really well by mistake. We ended up getting on the bus that went to the base of Table Mountain and we hung out there for a bit as it was closed due to high winds. We then ended up getting off at the beach - some place I wouldn't have thought to go as we didn't want to get a car - so that was a nice surprise and had a nice lunch with a great view. So a good option!
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 09:27 AM

thank you!! i was able to get in touch with him and we have him booked for our tour- this is the email he responded to me with...

Charles Ratcliffe <[email protected]>