Duba Plains or Selinda Camp in Botswana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2019, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning an itinerary for September 2020. We plan on 5 days in Capetown and the Winelands.

We have already booked Tswalu Kalahari and want another area to pair with this experience in South Africa

We have narrowed down the possibilities to two lodges/camps in Botswana....Duba Plains or Selinda. They are similar in price and both highly rated premium properties. Taking into consideration the time of year Sept. and the wild life viewing we can expect at each plus the food, lodging and service which would you choose?

i think we cannot go wrong with either, but would welcome opinions.

Thanks.

Old Dec 23rd, 2019, 06:21 AM

Tswalu is fabulous! I was there about four years ago, before the renovation.
Two years ago when I was in Botswana, I inquired about Duba PLains and was told that the lion prides were not as prevalent as they had been previously. I would advise you to do some serious research, maybe on SafariTalk or with your travel planner, or on the ATR site.

Do you have a great map showing the concessions of Botswana? When are you traveling?

I can highly recommend Vumbura Plains, and Mombo if you want to stretch your budget for the latter. I actually cried when I left Vumbura after four nights. Both of those are in the Delta, while Selinda is in the Linyanti area which I do not believe is a prime as the Delta. I've only been to the LInyanti once, to King's Pool; the camp was nice but the landscape was not as varied as further south. Please take a look at Vumbura if you are only going to one Botswana camp. And keep in mind that while I've made a number of safari trips to the area, most recently this past October, I am not an expert!!

Will this be your first safari?

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Dec 23rd, 2019 at 06:26 AM.
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 02:42 PM

We stayed at Selinda quite a few years ago. It was lovely but the animal viewing was markedly inferior to Mombo.
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 04:00 PM

HI and Happy New Year!
Tswalu is awesome because you have a good chance of seeing 2 of the most elusive and sought after animals: the Aardvark and the Pangolin. Both are on the "wanted" list of MANY repeat safari travelers! It is a very special place to safari but I would recommend that you pair iwth an intensely game rich area such as in Okavango Delta. Vumbura Is amazing as is Mombo and Chief's Camp.
Best
Dianne
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 04:26 AM

We did see aardvark at Tswalu, and aardwolf. But the unabashed stars of that show are those meerkats!! See if you can go see them twice during your stay. OMG...I will never forget that as long as I live.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all.
We are staying at Vumbura Plains for 3 nights and Tswalu for 4 nights....very excited for both!
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 06:28 AM

ited to delete post - I just saw ekscrunchy's reply to my other thread and it answered my question.

Last edited by sf7307; Jan 5th, 2020 at 06:31 AM.