Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Driving route, should we take the panoramic route with kids?

Driving route, should we take the panoramic route with kids?

Apr 14th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Driving route, should we take the panoramic route with kids?

My husband and I, with our 2 kids, ages 9 and 14, are flying into Johannesburg, arriving around noon, and trying to decide our route to Kruger.

Should we drive to and overnight in Graskop? The next day, we could take the road through Blyde River Canyon, over Abel Erasmus Pass, back down to Klaserie and then to Orpen Gate and on to Kruger.

How long would it take to get from Graskop to the Orpen Gate, driving this route? Is it worth the time?

How long would it take to drive from Johannesburg Airport to Hazyview? What about Johannesburg Airport to the Orpen Gate?

Thanks so much!
Apr 15th, 2006, 12:10 AM

I would recommend the panoramic route. Jo'burg via Dullstroom (nice lunch stop) Long Tom pass, Sabi and then Graskop. Next day: Gods Window, Potholes, THree Rondavels and then Abel Erasmus to Orpen. You need to leave the Three Rondavels by 12pm to get to Satara Camp, if thats where you are staying.
Jo'burg to Orpen can be done in 6 hrs, but with kids??? and no chance if you only arrive at noon. You must take into account the gate closing times and the speed limit in Kruger 50kmh. So can Hazyview. If you have driven in SA before 4-5hrs.
Hope this helps
Apr 15th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

This is great information and very helpful.

It sounds like it takes 6 hours to go this route, from Johanessburg, to Orpen. If we leave first thing in the morning, could we plan to spend the night in Klaserie? I was thinking it might be good for the kids to see the Cheetah Project. Is that worthwhile?

Also, how long will it take us to get from the Orpen Gate to Satara and what time does Satara close?

Thanks!

Apr 16th, 2006, 02:42 AM

Yep,the cheetah project is a great idea for the kids. You have to take the tour though. You could also visit Moholoholo Animal rehabilitation centre.
You should allow 2hrs to Satara. Depending on the time of year, camp gates close between 17h30 & 18h30.
Apr 16th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Sounds good.

The only other question is that now we that we are hoping to get started first thing in the morning, from Johannesburg Airport, where should we overnight?

Thanks!

Search this Thread