Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving Cincinnati to Philadelphia: Where to stop for one night?

Old Sep 8th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be driving (family of four, two children ages 4 and 5) from Cincinnati to Philadelphia and would like to stop for a night to break up the drive time. Any suggestions for a neat town along the way? Even just a town along the way w/a great place to eat would make it worth it! How about The House of Falling Waters - any idea if that would be doable? Dh has always wanted to see it. Thanks in advance!!
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I imagine you will be coming straight across the PA turnpike, stopping at Falling Water seems doable to me. I think that the house is about 20 miles north of the turnpike exit. There is not much around it, so I would stay at a hotel near the turnpike. You are still 5 hours from Philadelphia at this point.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Neopolitan

Sounds perfect to me, except are you sure you want to haul two kids ages 4 and 5 through a "boring house"?

Too bad Hershey is so close to Philadelphia.

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:08 PM

I'd have to agree Fallingwater would be very boring for very young children. I remember touring it as a 12 yr old and enjoying the tour though.

I'd suggest maybe a trip to Newell, WV (which is a few miles past Chester, WV (panhandle) and Route 30 West to visit the Fiestaware factory. I love that place. There are tours during the weekdays 1030am and 1230pm which your children may enjoy. Lots of machines that turn and sprinkle stuff on the clay. I can't recommend a really nice place to eat for children. Tom's Diner is in Chester, WV and the food is really neat and if the kids want to walk around there is plenty of room for them to do that. It is a huge room.

I can't tell you where to stay overnight. There is East Liverpool, OH right over the Ohio River on Route 30. There are local motels that advertise from the highway can't recommend them one way or the other. Calcutta, OH has a nice sized mall (Walmart, JcPenney) and some fast food chains if you need to stock up on drinks.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One other thing about Fallingwater - there is plenty of open space for the kids to run around in outside. I think there is even a short wooded trail. Maybe you could take turns seeing the house itself.