Driving in South Africa at Night

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (we're Americans) are wondering if it is unsafe to drive in South Africa at night. We'll be starting on the Garden Route and heading East to Addo Elephant Park (and then back again). Should we abstain for being on the roads at night?

Also, can anyone recommend a good road map of the country? I know Michelin is good, but am having a hard time finding one in time for our January departure! All advice is greatly aprpeciated!
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 12:18 PM

You will dissappear into a void, however if you are not familiar with night driving in So Africa I would suggest that you do your driving during daylight hours. Man and beast can go unseen at night making driving hazardous.

Many road atlases available in SA, you can buy them at the various book stores when there or at a gas station once on the road. All the major gas brands sponsor good map books that feature their rest stops for the route.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the guidance - it seems a little daunting to the unfamiliar driver - certainly don't want a run-in with a zebra !
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 08:01 AM

It would more likely be a goat than a zebra, but still no fun!

When you arrive in SA, at the airport, go to the CNA store and buy a map/atlas book. I like the ones by Shell and by Map Studio. These show the secondary roads as well as the main ones. I have never seen these in the US, unfortunately.

The roads in South Africa are very good, and you'll enjoy seeing the beautiful country. Have a wonderful time!

Celia
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 08:35 AM

newlywed
As a local South African I appeal to you to NOT drive at night. Whilst our roads are excellent it is unfortunately the un-wanted visitors from our poor neighbouring countries that make my country their hunting grounds at night. If you get stuck or get lost then you are as mkhonzo says "will dissapear into the void". Please adhere to my advise.
Mark
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 11:16 PM

newlywed,

I differ somewhat from some of the advice that has been passed on to you by others especially with regard to driving at night in the Addo and Garden Route area.

As far as I am concerned if you are doing short distances to lets say a restaurant etc you certainly can take the night driving route. If you intend doing longer distances and you are comfortable with the region in terms of finding your way around then most certainly drive. Once again I say that especially in the Addo and Garden Route region I can assure you that this is sound advice.

I travel in the Addo, PE and garden Route area at least 12 times a year and in my opinion it is perfectly safe to drive in this area at all times of the day.

In terms of a map book I think this has been well covered by most with some good advice but I would also suggest that if you have a gps device available it would be much better to purchase the gps files of SA maps so as to rather use this in your vehicle while travelling. If you do this then I certainly would advise 24 hour driving in most parts of SA.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy our country to the full.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Selwyn is an authority on South Africa, so I accept his advice for the specific region you mention, but your opening sentence states that you are wondering if it is unsafe to drive in South Africa at night. My response to that generalized question is, "YES!" ZZ
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your helpful insights. To the poster rather familiar with the route: do you know how long it takes to get to Addo from Montagu/Barrydale (We'll be at Sanbona reserve). I was under the impression it was about 6 hours. I have been told it's 8. Can anyone offer insight? We're leaving in the early afternoon, so this would be good to know. I have to say, indiscriminate hunting does scare me a bit, although some of the posts, specific to that area bring me comfort. Thanks again to all!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 10:27 PM

You should rely on local advice that you'll no doubt get. Including any info on unusual current road conditions. But in case it helps and you haven't already looked at the site, Plan Your Route" at www.shellgeostar.co.za says 620 km and a travelling time of 6h 13m.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 10:29 PM

That's for Montagu. 557 km and 5h 37m for Barrydale.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Yes, thanks, I have consulted that site and have come to the same conclusion, however, one of the volunteer coordinators said it was an 8-hour drive - so that leaves me wondering.......
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:57 AM

Newleywed, having just returned from SA 2 days ago and driven that route less than a week ago I would say go with the 8 hours. It seems to me that most south Africans(and I also was one once!) underestimate driving times.
I strongly recommend that you do at least one way on R62 between Oudtshoorn and Humansdorp,It is a beautiful road that is very lightly traveled. Also do NOT take the road thru Uitenhage, I did and it cost me an extra hour. Go thru PE then straight up to Addo. The PE - addo road though has very bad potholes !
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:26 AM

Anybody telling potential visitors to South Africa that it is safe to drive around at night is doing them a grave dis-service. South Africa is not a safe place to be on the roads at night, especially outside urban areas without good local knowledge, period.

Because an individual has not had a problem his or herself doesn't alter this, please, don't ignore the great positives about the country but also don't paint a false picture about the potential dangers.