Search

Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Needed!

My husband, our 3 teenaged boys(17, 17 and 15) and I are spending two weeks in Morocco and Spain in July. My husband and I are both well travelled but this will be our first "overseas" trip with the boys. I have our itinerary figured out..at least the Morocco part..but having difficulty making accommodation decisions. We will be in Marrakech for 3 nights...Rabat one night...Fes 2 nights then Tangier 1 night. I have made a reservation in Marrakech but would love suggestions for the rest. We are looking for the best properties in these cities but certainly want the most "bang for our buck". Being from TX...good AC is a must....

Also...we thought we would utilize the train between these cities but my sister in law, who lived in Marrakech for 3 years, advised against it. Thoughts on this? Any suggestions on personal drivers would also be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 08:46 AM

I can't imagine why your sister-in-law is against using the train. It is an excellent way to get aound esp. if you are going from Marrakesh to Rabat, then Fes, and to Tangier (no back tracking). We ived in Rabat for five years !
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 05:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bedar - right. Some of the rolling stock is more modern than others, but it's a perfectly reasonable way to travel.

See also: http://www.seat61.com/Morocco.htm#Tr...20in%20Morocco
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 08:03 PM

I would trust the train more than I would a personal driver, unless you are staying at a very high-end hotel that arranges the driver. There are taxis that go from city to city, but the distances you are traveling it might be a headache. I know when we went from Khemisset to Fes we had to change taxis in Meknes.

I don't have any suggestions for hotels since I have only stayed with my husband's family in non-tourist cities.

Just remember that Ramandan (the muslim holy month) starts about July 9th to August 7th. I have never been there during that time, but I do know that businesses have shorter hours and possibly different hours. They fast (all food and water) during the daylight hours, and I think they have more prayer time. So, expect tourist areas to be a bit unpredictable during the day, and maybe more exciting during the evening. Check with your hotel to find out what is affected by Ramadan. Even non-Ramadan days some of the little shops may close during prayer time.

You are going to touristy areas so you shouldn't have to worry about having to use the standard Moroccan toilet (I think also called a Turkish toilet), but be prepared. Always bring kleenex and hand sanitizer because not all public toilets, even with sit down toilets, have toilet paper, paper towels, or soap. They are usually missing one of the three.

Have fun!!
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 05:53 PM

I suggest a mid-upper range hotel in Fes, Marrakech and Rabat. We liked the Sofitel Palais Jamai in F, Imperial Borj in M'kech and Hyatt in Rabat...found prices to be quite reasonable for that class of lodgings...around $150. The dollar is still strong against the Maroc dhirham. I can send you some scanned pix of Fes, Marrakech and Essaouira if you wish.

I would also suggest extending by a few days and include a trip to the desert (Erfoud, Erg Chebbi (dune) and Merzouga).
stu