Search

Drive to Petra from Amman

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive to Petra from Amman

How much is a reasonable fee for driver from Amman to Petra? or even round trip?
Would it be easy to rent a car at the airport and drive on our own with our Phone GPS?
What is the current entrance fee to Petra and what are the fees for guide at the site?
I've gotten differing fees, therefore confused. Appreciate the quick response. thanks Yoli
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 01:55 PM

We had a guide/vehicle and on arrival picked up a guide at entry to Petra to whom we gave a tip after our tour. There was an entry fee, but believe it was included in the overall days use of guide (actually driver)/vehicle.

No need for a GPS as it's a straight drive south/north*, I believe on the Kings Highway, though there is a side-road with a few more turns and areas you might want to stop.

*if staying in Amman proper, your hotel can provide easy enough directions to get to the highway.

Have no idea what we paid for any of this. But is sure was inexpensive.

Drive time was about 2/hrs each way including a potty stop each direction.
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 04:58 AM

Yes you could rent a car. The airport is right on the Desert Highway which you would take south to Petra. We were there last year and the only complicated part was getting on the highway. That was because of construction which may now be finished. You could take the Kings Highway which is more scenic but longer.

Last I looked the entrance fee to Petra was still 50JD for one day (about 70 USD), 55 JD for two days.
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 05:02 AM

http://www.visitjordan.com/visitjord....aspx?tabid=90
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 08:14 PM

I would recommend taking a small detour(a few miles)from the shobak village and visiting the shobak castle,a little before PEtra.
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 04:01 PM

Solo female traveler here. Debated and debated on whether or not to hire a driver or rent a car and I'm so glad I rented a car -- it was great to have the autonomy and I saved money. With the exception of getting lost for a little while from Petra to Aqaba and traversing the mountains between Dana Biosphere Reserve and Petra (which was scary fun), the experience was straightforward and hassle-free.

Firsthand: http://www.esmetravels.com/category/...jordan/page/4/
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 05:21 AM

Like cold said, its an easy drive if you rent a car, just dont speed as there are speed traps everywhere. We hired a private guide/driver w/ a SUV and did visit both Jaresh and Madaba from Petra so Im sure our cost would be much higher than just a driver.