Petra for 2 days, from Israel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Israel and plan to drive from Jerusalem to the border crossing at Eyiat to spend 1 night/2days at Petra. I understand that we cannot take the rental car but must leave it at the border. Has anyone done this? Is the parking secure? Can we leave some luggage in the car? Also, how long is the drive from Jerusalum to the border crossing? Is it easy to hire a cab for the drive to Petra? How long is the drive? Will there be any time to see other sites?
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 05:41 PM
ALF

Its about a 5-hour drive from Jerusalem to Eilat. It would be a shame though if you didn't stop along the way along the Dead Sea, at Masada, and in the Negev.

It is a very short drive (3-4 km?) from 'downtown' Eilat to the Rabin border crossing. There is a nice parking lot there that seems pretty safe, as it is always busy and there are guards all over the place.

There are fees to be paid (70 shekels to Israel, a variable fee in Jordan, depending on where you are from), and waits to get through immigration. Allow at least one hour, it could take as much as two! Get there as early as possible to beat the tour buses.

Once across the border, there are buses and cabs that will take you wherever you want to go. A cab ride to Petra should cost between 30 and 40 Dinar. You might also want to look into booking an overnight tour to Petra. We have done it both ways, and the cost seemed pretty similar, particularly if you take into account the border entry/exit fees, the Petra entrance fee, and a Petra guide fee. Also, the tours have managed to cut through some of the border red tape. Either way, it is about 2 hours to Petra.

You can easily do Petra in 1 day, particularly if you are overnighting there. Otherwise, it is a little rushed to drive back to the border. You can also make other side trips to places like Wadi Rum.

Old Mar 9th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply ALF - really appreciated. Can you recommend someone for an overnight tour? We are staying one night at Petra and I did enquiry with PetraMoon however their rate seems a bit high for: border assistance/drive to Petra and 2 day guided tour of Petra at 375 pp. or is this the usual cost?
We will spend time at the Dead Sea on our return trip (after 2 nights in Negev)or as a side trip from Jerusalem. We are doing a bit of a "reverse direction" to avoid being in Jerusalem during the busy Passover time. So, it is Jerusalen 1st, then Petra, Negev and northern area/Galliee, then coast and Tel Aviv.
How much much is required for a visit to Wadi Rum?
Any suggestions/recommendations are welcomed.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 04:17 AM

Both Petra and Wadi Rum are half day trips so if you will be spending 2 days in Jordan, you'll have no problem doing both.
However, plan for delays at the crossing point into Jordan. It can be time consuming.

Regarding other places to see, if you cross in the north, you can visit Jerash a very well preserved Roman site. However, it's 48 KM NORTH of Amman, so I don't think you'll have enough time.

Definitely spend the night near Petra so you can get there early in the morning. It's cooler and less crowded.

Maybe my web page on our recent weekend in Jordan can help you. Here's the URL:
http://www.travel.stv77.com/jordan/petra.htm
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 04:43 AM

If the $375/pp includes overnight hotel in Petra (ascertain which hotel so you can Google it; maybe ask for upgrade or downgrade)... plus transfers, entry fees, guide, meals (how many) etc... that's a good price.

You might find something a bit lower/higher, probably depending on hotel. To use as a guideline, generally full-day tours most destinations anywhere around the world can run $80-$135/day, w/o hotels.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information.

Questions: does the border crossing near Eliat close in the evening or is it open late?
also, Steve, thanks for your webpage link. I noticed your comment about cell phones. We will be renting a cell phone Amigo to take to Israel....is it recommended that we do not take it to Jordan as it may be relinquished at the border until we leave?
Sandi -thanks for your comments. The tour quote does not incl hotel, and only one lunch. I think they may have misquoted the price. I have asked them to requote.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 10:25 AM
ALF

The Rabin border crossing closes at 10pm on Sun through Thur; and 8pm on Fri & Sat.

A 1-day Petra tour should cost US $130-$160, depending on # of people on the tour. A two-day tour of Petra and Wadi Rum should cost $325-$375, mostly depending on quality of hotel.

When we took a tour, we had our Eilat hotel book it for us, and we just specified that we wanted a 'small' tour. I wish I knew who it was, because the tour and guide was great.

I have a friend who raves about Desert Eco Tours, but I have no first-hand experience with them. He said the jeep tour of Wadi Rum was a highlight for him.

As noted, you can just take a taxi to Wadi Mousa, where there are several hotels in walking distance to the Petra entrance. We stayed at Petra Guest House, which was nothing special but inexpensive and clean.

One last thing: look into the evening candlelight tour of Petra. This was a lot of fun!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 12:48 PM

Heath:

Put the phone in your pocket or in your suitcase and NOT on your belt and they probably won't notice it. They didn't actually question people about the cell phone, but if they noticed it on your belt they took it for inspection.

However, everybody got their cell phone back at the end.