Don't Use Robin Pope

Jan 18th, 2002, 06:59 PM
xxx

Don't Use Robin Pope

They obviously are abusing this site and putting their name on every question. Lets do them a favor and NOT use them. If they were good they would not have to do this and their reputation would speak for itself. Their desperation speaks volumes about their quality.

Jan 19th, 2002, 10:29 AM
maggie

I am so sad that you consider that honest recommendations are not worth putting on this site.
I thought that is what the forums where all about - letting others know where you can find quality holidays.
I posted a thread about Robin Pope Safaris as a result of having experienced their expertise and professionalism recently and wanting to share with others my enjoyment of that trip.
Nor am I afraid to use my email address!

Jan 19th, 2002, 10:47 AM
pam

Maggie,

I appreciate that you included your e-mail address in your post. When I read your initial response on the "African Safari" thread, it sounded a lot like an advertisment:

"Author: maggie ([email protected])
Date: 01/18/2002, 06:33 pm
An abundance of wildlife, luxury living and very experienced guides make a holiday with Robin Pope Safaris in Zambia an unforgettable experience. Find out more at www.robinpopesafaris.net".

I can't really blame "xxx" for being skeptical.

Pam

Jan 19th, 2002, 11:58 AM
maggie

Hello Pam,
Maybe it sounded like an ad because I have spent my whole life working in sales! (Of industrial door products - not safari holidays!)
I assure you that my messages come straight from the heart, and are based on my personal experience of this company.
Regards
Maggie

Jan 21st, 2002, 08:20 AM
Thyra

Maggie Don't feel bad, I got so much flak on the European board for recommending a Greek yachting charter company with whom we had booked a lovely sailing holiday, that I was accused of working for them! But it even went one further, I got a nasty, threatening email from another, competitor yacht charter company! Can you believe it? IMHO, you should feel entirely free to post personal experiences and name names, as long as you don't stand to profit from it.

Jan 21st, 2002, 10:06 AM
maggie

Thank you for your support Thyra.
I did wonder whether it might be another safari company that had posted the message!
Regards
Maggie.

Jan 21st, 2002, 12:05 PM
Susan

I agree that as long as someone is not advertising for themselves, individuals should be able to make recommendations. On the Latin American board, someone is being given a hard time because she often recommends a certain property. She's been accused of working for them. I know that she definitely doesn't work for them and when I came to her defence, I was accused of working for them! And I've never even been to that particular place!

Obviously we're going to recommend what we know. When someone asks where to go in Mexico (or wherever), my reply will be based on my own experience.

BTW, Thyra, did you go on your African safari yet? I'd love to do a trip like that. Unfortunately I have more plans and ideas for trips than I have time and money!

Jan 21st, 2002, 12:23 PM
Thyra

Hi Susan,
We are leaving on our safari in 76 days, we are right now in the process of getting shots and prescriptions for malaria prevention.. you know all the fun stuff.. but it is paid for, and we changed our plans so that we get a stop over in A'dam on the way back, which I am also looking forward to. Rest assured I shall post a complete trip report on our Kenyan safari upon returning.. I just wish there was a way to speed up the next 10 weeks... so that I could leave...oh let's see?? TOMORROW! lol

Jan 21st, 2002, 03:00 PM
Maggie

Thank you for your support as well Susan.
Enjoy your trip Thyra and how lovely that you will be visiting Holland.
It is a lovely country, the people nearly all speak English which makes life a lot easier and the transport system is superb.
It looks as though you will be there at the right time to visit Keukenhof - don't miss it - it is superb.
Regards
Maggie.

Jan 24th, 2002, 02:17 AM
Anna

I agree with Maggie - it really is ridiculous that when a poster sings the praises of a company that everyone automatically assumes that they are going for free publicity. We have genuinely had amazing holidays thanks to Robin Pope (check his website for guest comments if you want proof). I am just as quick to name hotels/operators that I have been disappointed with as I had thought that this was what the forum was for - exchange of opinions between travelers. Quite frankly, given the intimate nature of the RPS camps, I am glad that I will not have to share the camps with cynical people like XXX when we are lucky enough to return.

Jan 24th, 2002, 03:26 AM
Dick

Thyra, would you mind sharing info on the innoculations you are getting? We are getting close to making a decision to go to East Africa and am curious as to how others are preparing. Thanks and have a great trip!

Jan 24th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Thyra

Hi Dick, I will be happy to share with you. We are getting:
Yellow Fever
Hep A
Polio
Tetanis (spelling?)
Typhoid

Plus we are getting the anti malaria med-Malarone.

There are a bunch of other things you can get measles mumps rubella boosters, menengitis pretty much everything. I went to the CDC web site, and ended up (thanks to some great advice on this board)deciding to get our shots at the Pasadena (CA) city health clinic traveller's medicine.
Have a great trip!

Jan 24th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Maggie

Thank you Anna - how I agree with your last sentence!

Search this Thread