Search

Do you love the Masai Mara?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you love the Masai Mara?

Those of us that have been there probably do...maybe not?

Here is a link to the Mara Conservancy website (that has recently been re-vamped) and you can read about their Vision and their accomplishments on a monthly basis in the Triangle.

http://www.maraconservancy.com/index.html

To see their monthly postings click on "Achievements", pick a year, then a month and a word document will open up for you to read.

Current posting for October under 'Tourism' Brian speaks about off-road driving by the Guides, is of concern to me. He says that "failure to honour this privilege will result it it being withdrawn.........".

Also under 'General" Brian speaks about Dr. Asuka Takita vaccinating dogs against rabies and distemper which of course left untreated can affect predators in the Reserve. You can read about her work on the Wildlife Direct blogs under 'Asuka'

I hope I am not out of line with this posting on Fodor's. But my love of the Mara is so strong and I just wanted to let others know about the positive work that is going on there.

Peace! gt;

Dana

Old Dec 1st, 2007, 09:51 AM

Hi Dana, thanks for the info.... I love the mara tooo, nice to know somebody else shares the same passion and is interested in it's well being

Cheers,keep up the good work,and keep us posted
Sonali
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 11:19 AM

I do.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 11:36 AM

A little off-topic, but after visiting the relaunched website of Mara Conservancy, I couldn't resist to send them the following mail:

"One suggestion: not all people have the sharp eyes of a fish eagle, so I would recommend to replace this grey text on dark brown background with something more rich in contrast. I also will never understand why most web designers think that these small font sizes are the best way to transport information. Simple usability tests with colleagues or family members show that a lot of people are forced to use all kind of zoom-in tools to read such pages. Always keep the average age of your audience in mind - I doubt that it will be mainly teens and twens who are visiting this site."
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 12:39 PM

nyama -

Good for you for speaking up. I'm wearing my specs and can barely see that small font with grey against brown. Regardless the worthyness of the information, I'm out of such sites in the NY minute.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

nyama -

It's good that you sent an email to the website. I was waiting for them to finish their site - which has just been very recently.

I too, have a problem with reading the things on their front page and too was going to send an email, which I will shortly.

I guess since I 'knew' what info was posted on the former site I just plugged through the new one.

Hope that people will find the information informative ---lol, you know what I mean.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 04:53 PM

I love the Mara, the site looks like a winner, and I thank Nyama for pointing out the poor choice of font.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 05:00 PM

I love the Mara too, even though some of the things I saw there made me very sad, like the cheetahs looking stressed by too many vehicles. I hope that they will do something about this!

I agree about the font...way too small! I had to zoom in and I'm not THAT old (I think).

Moira