Search

Tourism ideas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tourism ideas

What doesn't exist in tourism in Africa particurly in kenya that you would think would add value in the tourism industry. Am doing a study to enable me start a tourism/hospitality business in future.

africana
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 05:56 AM

Easy and direct transfer from Mara to Serengeti or vice-versa?
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 04:44 PM

Maybe this does exist and I just don't know about it or I have not done much research on it.

1 or 2 night stay and visit with a Maasai or Samburu family or other family.

I've done this unofficially and it was great.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 07:36 PM

I fully agree with Hari - that really is needed!
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 04:47 AM

There IS a direct transfer between the Masai Mara and Serengeti, BUT NOT FOR TOURIST VEHICLES.

There are any number of reasons why this is so and has been discussed on this board previously.

This decision will not be made here, but by the governments involved... whenever, if ever!
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:16 AM

Sandy,

Transfer by road between Masai Mara and Serengeti via the Isebania border post is possible for tourists, according to the ARP Group. They state so on their "Kenya and Tanzania Classic Safari".
Check it out:
http://www.arpsafaris.com/frameset.html
Anyone ever heard of them?
I have heard from others before that you can cross between the two parks at Isebania border crossing.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:20 AM

With the right connections, you never know .......
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:32 AM

There's an article in Africa Geographic (Volume 14 number 11) called 'Spontaneous Combustion'. In it 2 guys drive up from S.Africa.

They say that it is possible to get a special permit in Nairobi to cross the Tanzania/Kenya border in the Mara/Serengeti.

They got one, but still had to pay a bribe to the guard to get through! They don't say where in Nairobi you can get this special permit.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:51 AM

bushperson -

We know there is an official crossing as Isebania, but that's not direct between the Masai Mara and the Serengeti.

From the Mara you drive to Isebania (can be 3+/hrs), change vehicles to a Tanzanian one; drive via Lake Victoria to the Western Serengeti entrance (another 3-4/hrs). It's a long trek.

And if where you want to be in the Serengeti is in the Northern or Central areas, even more driving. Often the drive time is longer than 10/hrs between Southwestern Mara to Central Serengeti. And, since you can't be on park grounds after dark, it's a bit much for 1/day.
Many choose to overnight at Speke Bay at Lake Victoria.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 06:31 AM

Hello African
From my point of view, what almost doesn’t exist and would add enormous value are reasonably priced tented camps. The by far worst problem for a non-zillionaire Kenya addict is the enormous cost for spending time in the national reserves/parks. The least expensive option is the group camping safaris at $90 pppd. It’s still expensive – and probably can’t be cheaper because of park fees and vehicle costs - and not that appealing to the kind of tourist (myself) that wants her own bathroom (on a budget, but doesn’t like to look like a budget traveller), good game drive vehicles and longer stays in fewer parks. What I want are small, “eco-friendly”, semi-permanent camps with no permanent structures, bucket showers are OK and compost toilets are preferable. I don’t want generators and if solar power is too expensive, a couple of solar powered torches in the tent would be quite OK. A gas (butane?) fridge could be used until funds for solar power are found. Or, maybe food could be kept simple and bought locally avoiding the need for refrigeration? I’d like locally purified water instead of bottled water brought from Nairobi. I love open-sided game drive vehicles, but more walks and less drives is preferable. Most important of all is an unfenced camp with lots of wildlife and a price of less than $150pd (everything included, except alcoholic beverages and laundry). The camp should be able to pick up guests from a place where you can go by public transport.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Sorry, I missed the <b>a</b>.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Mmmm. Better international flight links direct from the USA.

More emphasis on camps outside the Mara... you'd sometimes think that the Mara was the only Game Park

More sports and activities to encourage younger vistors... one hooked, hooked for like . (hang Gliding from the rift valley? Bungee jumping from hot air balloons?

Action on the beaches to reduce further the &quot;hassle factor&quot; from beach boys.

Hotels with a more cultural feel... for example you would think the only kenyan songs hotel bands know are &quot;Jambo... Jambo Bwana&quot; and &quot;Malaika&quot;... then you get &quot;Lady in Led (sic)&quot; ... and &quot;Wonderful Tonight&quot;

Experience Breaks.... Nights out under the stars... night game drives.... more horse riding and walking safaris.

&quot;Ranger Training&quot; holidays where you spend 2 weeks learning skills of tracking, bush craft etc. (there's a similar in SA but not as far as I know in Kenya)
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 09:48 AM

<i>Better international flight links direct from the USA.</i>

Coming next June, Delta JFK or ATL to NBO via DKR. OK, maybe you don't consider Dakar &quot;better&quot; than the current options

I would like to see more semi-lux private mobile camping options in Kenya in the $200-$300 per person per night range. This seems pretty common in Tanzania, but I find very few operators offering this kind of camping in Kenya. The majority of camping safaris here either seem to be geared toward the very low budget or the very high budget luxury end with not much offered in between.

Here's an example of what I mean http://www.jksafaris.com/jk-safaris-...-adventure.htm

I don't even need an ensuite bathroom as long as there's a bucket shower somewhere in the camp and I prefer cots to mattresses on the ground. Most importantly, the camping has to be done on private, wilderness sites.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 10:01 AM

I totally agree that easy/quick transfer from the Mara to the Serengeti is necessary. I also agree with Sandi that it will only happen when the Kenyan and Tanzanian governments want it to.

If I recall correctly, the quickest/easiest way from Bateleur's Camp to Klein's Camp for tourists was by flying back to Nairobi, then into Tanzania followed by a connection to Klein's.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 12:59 PM

A safari company designed to cater to those with challenges, where the vehicles have been modified for wheelchair users to sit comfortably and enjoy the veiw. Knowledge of guest rooms (and dining areas) at various lodges that are wheelchair friendly. Ability to tranport guests from airport to lodges, etc. Offer special needs travelers the freedom to camp and travel throughout Kenya and experience its magic and wonders.

Asante sana!
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys for your ideas. That was very helpful. I believe if Kenya can implement some of your ideas ,Kenya will become number one destination in Africa. In the next few years Kenya will have better infrastructure especially the roads and also market other parks i.e. turkana, Meru national parks and kakamega etc.

This goes to safari companies: A safari company designed to cater to those with challenges, where the vehicles have been modified for wheelchair users to sit comfortably and enjoy the view.This has been ignored for a long time.

Rangers training holidays seems a good idea. Still looking for something unique yet attractive to travellers.

Regards
africana
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 04:10 AM

Ranger programs are available at a few properties, but geared towards the young'uns!

There was a one company I contacted (never getting a reply) that claims to provide services for those needing wheelchair assistance, but I didn't keep the link... sorry. Further inquiry did indicate that a number of outfitters have considered appropriately designed vehicles, but the costs are prohibitive. For them (or any business, any industry), it's more ROI (return on investment). Volume, volume, volume! to justify and the insurance.

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 09:47 AM

I remember looking at a ”Bush Skills” course at Kicheche that was too expensive. It’s no longer on their website, or I just can’t find it.

It feels like I just have to forget about Kenya when someone (like Patty &gt; is willing to pay $300 for a shared bucket shower …

If Africana is going to start a new airline, I want a direct Nairobi connection with the town closest to me.

Here’s an accessible safari: http://www.disabilitytravel.com/grps...ari/index.html
Very expensive and a safari assistant or “helper” is $100 per day. I wonder if that person’s monthly salary is more than $100.
BTW, I heard something strange on the radio a couple of weeks ago about a person who went to Kenya with a wheelchair. It was so disturbing that I don’t want to write more about it.

I can’t think of anything completely new for Africana. Maybe later.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Hi guys.Am not planning to start an airline.We can voice the challenges of easy and direct flights links with the local airlines.

Nyamera what did you hear on radio that was so ditrubing?

Am thinking of incorporating cultural nights. For example Kikuyu night where tourist can mingle with the locals and share the culture,food and traditions. Carnivore restaurant have the cultural nights but mainly the ephasize is with the locals.

Still looking for something unique. i.e. swapping a home with a typical village family.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Africana, I was mainly disturbed by my own thoughts. I’ll try to explain tomorrow.
BTW, are you Kikuyu? If so, I have a question for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -