Differences between Mombo and Little Mombo

Jul 21st, 2005, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Differences between Mombo and Little Mombo

Hello,

I'm thinking about including Mombo in my safari plans for next year, and I was wondering what people feel are the differences between the main Mombo camp and Little Mombo. I know that the accommodations are the same standard, but is there a different atmosphere in the two camps? Has anyone stayed at both of them?

Are there particular rooms you would recommend, for the view or atmosphere? Are some sunnier or shadier than others? I'm pretty heat sensitive, so I'd prefer a cooler room.

Cheers,
Julian
Jul 21st, 2005, 12:22 PM

They're completely adjacent to one another. In fact, our tent (#9 at Mombo and #4 at little Mombo) can be used for either. For example, while we were there, Little Mombo was booked out by a private group so we were part of Mombo.

The major difference is the number of people during meals. At Mombo it's 16-18, at Little Mombo it would be 6-8.

Judy
Jul 21st, 2005, 12:23 PM

PS: I would recommend our room. It is extremely private since it's separated from rest of the big Mombo tents by a lodge that no one ever seems to use. You also get views out all sides without another tent in the way.
Jul 21st, 2005, 05:14 PM

Haven't been to LM, but my experience at Chitabe Trails (appended to Chitabe in rather the same way) is that the major difference you will feel is during drinks and dinner. At the small camps you definitely have more of a "out in the bush" feel, and that can be priceless. When you are with people whose company you enjoy, nothing is better!
But if you happen not to enjoy the company of anyone at a small camp, there is no escape. You are with them on every drive. For every meal. Literally for all the time that you are not in your tent. Since the small camp only runs one vehicle, there is no opportunity to switch.

However even at Mombo Main, lunches seem to be set by vehicle... but dinners are set at a long long table, so you can mix with everyone, and this can offer some "relief" from being with the same folks you have been with all day.
Even when I like the other people assigned to my vehicle, I sometimes begin to feel a little "trapped", and find that new faces and new conversations at dinner are better. And since a larger camp runs more than one vehicle, their might be a chance to switch vehicles (especially for someone travelling solo).

So my take is that small camps are high risk, high reward.
Jul 21st, 2005, 05:47 PM

Tashak,

I think you hit the nail on the head with your high risk / high reward statement.

For example, Alexsandra and I were the only guests at Kafunta Island Bush Camp a couple years ago. It was just the two of us, the managing couple and about five support staff. It was only a 2 night stay, but while I found their company very enjoyable, I think they were too non-conforming for Alexsandra's taste. So, while I enjoyed those 2 nights very much, Alexsandra did not, although the fact that it is a very basic bushcamp and offered walking safaris only, also had something to do with it.

I am always willing to take the risk with the smaller camps. I think the biggest camp I am visiting this year will be Kasaka River Lodge with a maximum capacity of 16, while Chongwe River Camp, Puku Ridge and Luangwa River Lodge all have lower capacities.

My just booked Tanzania safari features a couple camps with a maximum capacity of 8 guests. But the upside to staying at some of the larger places like Ngorongoro Serena and is that we will still have our own private vehicle to get away.

Now, here is a question...I see that Manyara Tree Camp features open sided Land Rovers...I want to go on open sided Land Rovers for my game drives...will this be extra?
Jul 21st, 2005, 06:00 PM

I agree with Tasha re. small camps being high risk/high reward.

Keep in mind that little Mombo usually only has 3 tents. That's REALLY small. And the risk/reward is even higher. Also the chances of the others being in a family/group is very high. As a solo traveller, you might feel a bit left out.

In any case, it's only dinner/drinks. During lunch everyone has different schedules and we always ate by ourselves, and no one interacted much at breakfast.

I really enjoyed meeting more/different people, so Mombo and Duma Tau were fun. But I also thought the 10 people/5 tents at Kwetsani made for the best interaction at dinner.

Judy
Jul 21st, 2005, 06:30 PM
bwanamitch

One rule I've learned during all my safaris:
As better the game sightings, as less are any social problems in camp.

With that diversity of game in the Mombo area, even the most unsocial people must have a smile in their face after the first game drive. There should be no problems for a solo traveller in Little Mombo.

Mitch

Jul 22nd, 2005, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. As a solo traveller, being able to mix with several groups of people (rather than being the only one who is not a member of the group) is important to me, so I'm learning towards the larger camp.

Does anyone else have any room recommendations?

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread