Delta airlines to Jberg

Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:32 PM
Original Poster

Delta airlines to Jberg

I was wondering if anyone had a bad experience with Delta to Jberg? I am slightly paranoid, but 3 years ago my luggage (first time ever) didn't make the transfer in NYC on SAA and was 4 days late to me. I was already in Zambia when my bag made it to Zimbabwe. (I made a ton of calls and paid a guy $200 to get it and bring it to me over the border since my tour had left).

I am looking at taking Delta from Los Angeles to Atlanta and then to Jberg. I am then going to Namibia. If Delta doesn't get my bag to Jberg, i'm SOL cause they have no obligation to forward my luggage to Namibia.

If I flew on SAA, they would have more of an obligation to get my bag to Namibia.

I have too many toiletries to do carry-on, otherwise I completely woudl do so.

Looking for either reassurance that Delta is good on bags or some people with bad lugage delay story to help me make my decision.

Thanks,

Heather
Jul 23rd, 2010, 12:33 AM

According to this article Delta ranked 6th worst for lost luggage. (That is like 6th from the bottom for delivery, so maybe 40 airlines ahead of it for being better).
http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...lost-luggage/1

When I want to make sure I do not loose something, like computer data, like photos from safari, like medication, I have a back up. If one gets lost, there is still the other. You could do same, ship ahead another set/kit of whatever is important to you. You could even ship it two weeks ahead to your hotel and call them and know that it has arrived.

Or, flying business or first class on many airlines allows practically unlimited carry-on.

Enough money, time and effort will solve your problem. You have to decide the costs and consequences. Think out of the box

regards - tom
Jul 23rd, 2010, 12:41 AM

ps - worst airline for luggage handling is Comair. And the page for Delta is -
http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...ost-luggage/15
Jul 23rd, 2010, 04:52 AM

It's not Africa, but it is Delta and Comair:

Last month they failed to get my bag to me in Winnipeg. But they got it in the next morning and forwarded it about 1700 km to me in Jasper. Took a couple of days but at least I got the bag. And they used WestJet, a courier service, and Greyhound to make the delivery. Plus they gave me a US$100 allowance for any needed supplies, shirt, socks, etc. I was quite pleased.
Jul 23rd, 2010, 05:49 AM

i took delta in may to jo'burg. we overnighted only in jo'burg then took SAA to livingstone the next morning. well, only until it was too late to get my bag back at o'hare, the bag was checked all the way to livingstone. luckily i had all my important things and a change of clothing with me but i worried about my bag hanging out overnight in jo'burg. well, the bag made it to livingstone but someone in baggage rifled thru it and stole my hat. it could have been worse, as there were more valuable items but just the fact that the bag had been opened and something was taken bugged me.

suffice to say, carry on all your valuables & a change of clothes. otherwise no one lost their luggage on this trip.
Jul 23rd, 2010, 06:31 AM

I flew Delta to JNB last year from LAX-ATL-JNB with only a brief layover in Atl, and our luggage all made it with us. There is no guarantee, no matter what airline you fly but I always try to allow for decent connection times.
Jul 23rd, 2010, 07:18 AM

We had no problems flying JFK to ATL to JNB and back--luggage all made it fine. Lost/delayed luggage can happen with ANY airline. Just leave ample connection time, and importantly, label your luggage well and watch that the agent labels it correctly. Good luck!
Jul 23rd, 2010, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I'm going to go with Delta to JBerg - hate the stopping in Dakar and the bug spray.

Heather
Jul 23rd, 2010, 01:49 PM

i have been to south africa at least 10 times in the past five years. most of the time was on delta or klm. delta has lost my bags twice but both were on my way home so i did not care. they have never lost on the way over.

craig beal
Jul 23rd, 2010, 03:27 PM

That bug spray thing creeps me out, too.

The key is a long enough layover. Do you have to check all the way through, or can you check on both legs?
Jul 23rd, 2010, 11:54 PM

Like moremiles said, there is never a guarantee with any airline, most times luggage arrives as it should, sometimes it doesn't and that can happen on any airline, whether Delta or SAA. My advice is to always carry everything you may need in the first two days in your carry on, including a fresh set of clothing as well as your most important toiletries, that way if your bags are delayed you can survive for a day or two.
Onne from Wild Wings Safaris
Jul 25th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I plan to have one carry-on with items to survive on for several days. I have 2.5 hours layover in Atlanta so delta should have plenty of time to transfer my bag. I should be able to check my bag from LAX to JBerg since it's all on Delta. If it wasn't for the liquid restrictions, i could bring two small carry-ons.

Thanks for all the advice.