Search

December honeymoon in Mauritius

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
December honeymoon in Mauritius

Hello all,
We are planning to go to Mauritius in the second half of December for our honeymoon. We'd like some information from people who have traveled to Mauritius at this time of the year about:
1. The weather.
2. Vegetarian options when compared to other islands in the Indian ocean.
3. Tourist demographics around this time of the year (Families with little kids, backpackers, etc).
4. Reliance on local, tour guides Vs Independent travel.
5. Recommendations on places to stay (budget isn't a constraint).

We haven't completely ruled out Seychelles yet...any thoughts on Mauritius Vs Seychelles for a vegetarian couple traveling in December?
Thanks!
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 04:49 AM

Mauritius has a large Hindi population so vegetarian meals are widely available. Just be sure to confirm at whatever resort you select.

Very few backpackers on island and the few there are usually up in the Grand Baie area. There are few more upscale resorts around there anyway. To avoid kids, stay away from Coco Beach Resort.

Semi-independent is the best way to go in Mauritius. Hook up with a good tour operator (like White Sand Travel on island or, better, an operator in your country) and you will get good advice on resort selection and will pay, in most cases, significantly less than the general public rate. Personally, I like the Constance Hotels resorts although almost any of the popular resorts are fine. Also get airport/hotel transfers from that same operator. Taxis are pretty much the only alternate choice and would be more expensive. Many day trips are offered: choose when you are there and book through your hotel or tour operator rep.

Personally, I like the Constance Hotels resorts although almost any of the popular resorts are fine. Decide first on which side of the island you prefer (east, west, south) then narrow it down to a few. I know most of them and can help refine your choice.

Nowadays, Seychelles and Mauritius are equivalent in terms of accommodations quality. Seychelles has better day trips and activities but i think their vegetarian options are more limited.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Vegetarian fare won't be a problem at any those ilsnad paradises.

The big difference between those 2destinations: Mauritius is a large island state and the Seychelles are small islands forming a state.

Mauritius offers for activities on the one island. Seychelles is either island restricted activities and mostly watersports and some offer golf.

Both destinations are very much in fashion for honeymooners but the Seychelles are definitely more appealing, e.g. the typical granite rocks

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/seychelles/images/granite-rocks-anse-source-d-argent-beach$23477-77

If you choose Seychelles I would advise you to book full board and inform the resort on your requirements.

Both destinations are pretty expensive (charging 5* rates for 3 or 4* service) but that's more so in the Seychelles than in Mauritius where you can walk/drive to other venues for additional meals like lunch etc.

On Mautitius I like all the Beachcomber hotels but ROYAL PALM is my favourite.

http://www.beachcomber-hotels.com/se...tel.php?rl=en&

The Beachcomber St. Anne, Seychelles is a very nice resort but sometimes the vessels across the hotel ankering is disturbing.

For the Seychelles the Banyan Tree would be my choice:

http://www.banyantree.com/en/seychelles/overview

Or Wilderness' North Island.

http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/se.../introduction/

A more favourable hotels are those of BERJAYA on maine ilsnad MAHE and PRALIN.
Decent product and good value for money - well, in Seychelles terms ;-)

Happy Planning!

Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the detailed responses, spassvogel and NoFlyZone! Much appreciated!