Search

Eygpt Visa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eygpt Visa

Are the lines to get a visa when we arrive in Cairo too long? Is it better to get the Visa before we leave the U.S? There is a big difference in price,but if it is worth it we are willing to pay the difference.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:56 AM

Either way, you will be waiting at the aiport since it will take a while for your luggage to be unloaded. You may as well save money by standing in line for your visa.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Getting the Visa took no more than a few minutes at Cairo Airport. I don't know what the difference in cost is but you describe it as "big" and so I can't see that it would be worth going to the hassle of getting it before you leave.

I think some people get in at home for peace of mind and it being one less thing to worry about but it's a very simple procedure at the airport on arrival.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 10:04 AM

We were just in Cairo and getting the Visa was a piece of cake. We also were fortunate in that our tour Rep was waiting at the get and was able to shepherd us through the crowds at a really excellerated pace. I thought about sending in advance for my VISA, but I think you have to mail in your passport and I really didn't want to stress about it too much.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:15 PM
sandi

We got our Visa in the States at the Egyptian Consulate. But then the consulate is in NYC and so were we. It was easy. Dropped off in the morning, picked up after lunch But the difference in price was all of USD$5 additional by getting it ahead of time.

It's very easy to obtain on arrival and if you have to wait for your luggage, do something constructive - get your Visa. So, if you don't want to send your passport through the mail - get it in Cairo. That's what most people do when they have this option for countries that allow you to obtain on-site.

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 01:20 PM

If you are traveling independently, it really is as easy as described above (reminder - they take US cash/dollars only). It you are being met by a tour, they will generally do it for you upon arrival. That was a little un-nerving for us as we gave our passports and cash to some guy with no sign or ID who said he was with our tour. He disappeared with both, but was back within 5 minutes with passports, visas, etc.