Search

Visa question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visa question

Hello - Hoping someone can answer a few questions I have. I am traveling from the USA and will be arriving in Cairo, Egypt on January 1st and will stay a little over a month. Just recently someone told me that the Cairo International airport offers visa's but the visa is only valid for two weeks. If this is true, where would I go in Cairo, Egypt to extend my visa, the fee's, etc. Thank You so much for your help....
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 03:36 PM
P_M

The tourist visa is valid for 3 months. I'll post a link but I will copy and paste the pertinent info:

http://www.cairo-airport.com/pass_visa.asp

Tourist Visa: Is usually valid for a period not exceeding three months and granted on either single or multiple entry basis.

Here's the part about a 2 week visa but it doesn't apply to you.

Visitors entering Egypt at the overland border, then go to Taba to visit Gulf of Aqaba coast and St. Catherine, can be exempted from visa and granted a free residence permit for fourteen days to visit the area
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks kindly for the info, much appreciated. I am confused because when I called a consulate, the lady told me that the airport only offers a visa for two weeks, and that I would have to find a place in Egypt to file for an extension. Yet the Cairo airport website states (Tourist Visa: Is usually valid for a period not exceeding three months and granted on either single or multiple entry basis) Does this mean that the visa I get from the airport will be valid for 3 months? That's what I would like to think but the lady from the consulate told me absolutely NOT, that the visa would be for ONLY two weeks! I'm confused! UGH! I've been searching for answers but don't know where else to look.
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 05:22 PM
P_M

If that's what the consulate said then I would go with that information. If all else fails maybe you can get a visa in advance for the time frame you need.

I looked at my Egypt visa which I got at the airport and there is no time frame on it, at least not in English. If it's stated in Arabic then I can't read it.

I hope Casual Cairo will see this thread, she is like an Egypt encyclopedia.
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 05:33 PM
P_M

The more I think about it, I would make one more call to the Embassy because it looks like the 2 week visas are for people entering overland and not arriving at the airport. Here's what the US State Dept says:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1108.html

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: A passport and visa are required. Tourists can obtain a renewable 30-day tourist visa on arrival at an Egyptian airport for a $15 fee, payable in U.S. dollars. Tourists arriving overland and/or those who previously experienced difficulty with their visa status in Egypt should obtain a visa prior to arrival. Travelers arriving from Israel at the Taba border crossing are advised to obtain a visa prior to their arrival, otherwise they are granted either a no-fee, 14-day visa valid for travel within Sinai only, or they may buy a 30-day tourist visa for $15 upon submission of a travel agency support letter. The letters are obtainable from travel agents at the border; however, their fees for providing this service vary.
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, you are so kind. I was in Egypt in August and September of this year and got my visa ahead of time here in the states from a visa agency and it was valid for 3 months, but is now expired. I assumed I could get a 3 month visa at the airport because that is what I read awhile back on the Cairo International Airport, but was told by (THAT LADY)who by the way was UNKIND that it would be valid for just the two weeks. I am leaving in two days so I guess I am going to have to ask ALOT of questions when I arrive at the airport....LOL...Hopefully, someone will help me....
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again....So if they give a 30 day visa and I am staying for 34 days, it looks like I am still going to have to file for an extension somewhere in Egypt or overstay the 4 days and be fined and or banned from entering Egypt again...I think I will have to file an extension somewhere...BUT where is the question now...LOL...Nothing like waiting till the last minute...LOL...
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 12:00 AM

As many times as I have come and gone from Egypt without getting a "multiple entry visa" beforehand to make it easy, my visa's were ONLY for 30 days. I don't know who they are giving 3 mo visas to, but maybe it has something to do with different nationalities.
In any case, all you can do now, is come in, ask for a 3 mo and see if they will give it to you. If not, ask for 30 days, see if they will give it to you, and if not, take the 2 week one. Remember, we have a NEW GOVERNMENT now. The old rules do not always apply. Also, if you've been to Egypt once, you should know you are entering the "LOGIC FREE ZONE", so why listen to "that lady" or anyone here on Fodors? You HAVE to come and see what the rules are on the day you arrive and with the Immigration Man you get.

Now to answer the other question - you will have to go to a big government building in Tahrir Square (very close to the Intercontinental Semiramis Hotel) to extend your visa. At this time Americans are only allowed to extend for a 3 mo period. If you need to do this, the office you have to go to is one floor up from the ground level and to the right as you enter the bldg. Go at 9 a.m. and expect to spend the best part of the day there. If you are lucky you will be out of there by noon-ish. Take copies of the main page of your passport and of your current visa, 2 passport photos, and about LE150 to cover all expenses.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 12:03 AM

Oh, the name of the big government building is
The Mu-GHAM-aa. Try to pronounce it sort of like that and I think people will understand what you are saying and point you to it.
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 12:53 AM

I paid for one Visa in US dollars then when I returned I bought another but couldn't find my US dollars so they took Egyptian Pounds. I was probably fleeced by the exchange rate.. but oh well!

When I went through the airport in 2010 there was not a clear sign about which booth to visit to buy your Visa. I panicked a bit as was not sure which one but I think you can use any of the currency exchanges. I recall using 2 differnt booths to buy my visas.