Search

Cost to Arusha?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost to Arusha?

Forgive my ignorance, but does anyone know how much airfare is from New York to Arusha? My wife and I are planning a safari for next year and the international air is the only missing component. When I tried Travelocity, they quoted me close to $5,000. Surely, you all did not pay that much!!
Thanks.
Joey
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 09:58 PM

International flights will be in and out of Kilimanjaro.

Give Air Brokers a call (www.airbrokers), or probably any other ticket broker. Their flights will be much cheaper.

The problem with Kilimanjaro is that only KLM can get you there. I'm going from San Francisco to Kilimanjaro for around $1700, and that includes a two day stop in Amsterdam.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 04:07 AM

Joey: Our ticket last year cost $1,800 pp for flying into Nairobi and flying out of Dar Es Salaam to go home, so $5,000 is an outrageous price. As Roderick suggested, try a consolidator or try direct with airlines, but do not pay $5,000. A friend of mine flew in and out of Arusha last year from Utah and her ticket was about $1,500. Good luck and can't wait to hear what kind of a trip you have planned.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 04:26 AM
sandi

Joey - Yes, KLM is the only carrier going into KIL from AMS, and believe these only have two flights a week, so you have to schedule your safari time between the arrival and departure dates.

The $5,000 quote is way out of line - fare should only be about $1,500 max., but you might want to unbundle the ticket with a fare from JFK-AMS (and if you haven't been I would suggest you spend a few days in AMS before heading on - easy city to explore, very interesting, English speaking and gives you a break) and a second ticket AMS-KIL. Both tickets will likely have different restrictions, but hey you're going so these won't matter.

Check first with KLM forJFK-(AMS)-KIL and separate JFK/AMS & AMS/KIL and then try some consolidators. Time of year also has some impact on fares, but you can do better than $5,000.

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 05:46 AM
LizFrazier

Hi Joey-
Try [email protected]. This is the air consolidator that 2Afrika uses. I emailed with them about our trip to Nairobi. We got $1800 from Las Vegas to Nairobi. We ended up using frequent flyer miles though.
They usually only work 3 months out so I haven't asked yet about our Feb. trip to Arusha. KLM does fly into Kilimanjaro (JRO) and gets in at 10:30PM. There is a new hotel close to there where you can stay and then fly out the next morning to where ever you will be going. Good luck. Liz

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:50 AM

If you choose to go to Nairobi then overland to Arusha, there is a $50 Kenya visa per person. This often entails an overnight in Nairobi.

I think that KLM flight is just so easy - leaves AMS at 10:30 or so in the morning, you get into JRO in early evening, then its 45 minute drive to Arusha. Also, it does run daily now, so it makes scheduling easier. You can buy your TZ visa there at the airport - very easy.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. I knew Fodorites would be able to help me.
Joey
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:42 AM
LizFrazier

Joey-
I just got a quote of $1390 plus about $130 in taxes, per person, for LasVegas to Kilimanjaro and return. She said that there were others, but this was the cheapest. Its on KLM/Northwest. I used airdiscounters.com
Email of the person who responded is:
[email protected]
Good Luck. Liz

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:43 AM
LizFrazier

Just re-read my earlier post and of course the www should not be in the email address. Habit I guess of adding that. Oops. Liz

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:25 AM

Check with whoever you are using in Arusha to see what they would charge to take you from Nairobi there and back. You can get to Nairobi for as low as $1025 plus tax (one company is advertising that) certain times of the year. That plus the Kenya visa plus the transfer may be quite cheap overall.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:51 PM
LizFrazier

Joey-
Don't bother with that first email I gave you. I don't think they can get consolidator tickets. Their quote was $1900.
I'm getting further details from airdiscounters.com and will probably buy our tickets from them. Liz

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 03:24 AM

Joey, last June we flew from central Pa to Detroit and then on to Arusha via Amsterdam (2 overnites) for something like $1,320 per person. Our travel agent made the arrangements as we purchased the "land" portion of a 2Afrika safari.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 08:39 AM
LizFrazier

rsnyder-
Who was your travel agent on the airfare? Thanks. Liz

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 12:56 PM

Liz, our person was Karen at [email protected]

I have dealt with her on a couple of flights and will do so next time we travel. Came to know her as daughter-in-law of lady where I work. I checked with her as to listing her address on web as I felt such was a courtesy due her. She is the kind of agent who checked with me after the trip as to how all went and we even did lunch so she and hubby could see our pictures. Sorry if my comments are a bit too "glowing" but we were please.

Dick
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 03:42 PM
LizFrazier

Thanks Dick-
I just sent off an email to her. Hope you didn't go through Nairobi, we want to go direct to Kilimanjaro from Amsterdam. Coming back I think the plane stops at Dar es Salaam. Liz

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 04:23 AM

Liz: If at all possible, spend some time in Dar - a day or two. Fantastic litte city, and quite cosmopolitan. If you spend the night, use the Holiday Inn, which is very, very nice. We got a day room there and were pleasantly surprised at the hotel. Very, very nice. Dar has some fantastic shopping and a wonderful downtown, near the Holiday Inn.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:00 AM

Liz, we did not travel via Nairobi. From the states to Amsterdam to Tanzania. Reasons we booked flight on our own was to 1) facilitate travel from central pa, 2) stop over in Amsterdam, 3) not pay the extra fee 2Afrika required for stop. My wife and daughter have not been to Holland and we thought it worth at least a short visit. Also, Karen suggested it might give us a chance to relax and then arrive in Tanzania "caught up". She was so right. So, we had basically two full days in Amersterdam and rested well. She got us into a hotel at Dam Square a few blocks (very walkable) from the central train station. We were quite impressed with travel from airport to central station. Very efficient, user friendly and just a couple bucks per person. The weather was a bit on the rainy side for the one day but we did take in a couple of museums, a bus trip, and simply walking around the city. Had great meals. Sorry that I wonder from your question as to travel route. I have posted lots of notes on trip last year under "Back from Tanzania" I think. The search function should get it for you. I am looking forward to return trip next year.
Good luck in the planning. Dick
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:23 AM
LizFrazier

Dick-I well remember your Tanzania trip and wonderful trip report. We've done the US-Amsterdam-Nairobi flight before on KLM. We got a room overnight there but since this will be in February, we will go straight away to Arusha as quickly as possible. I appreciate when you share the details as you answer questions. It is information to tuck away for another time, and others reading the posts may also get ideas for their upcoming trips. Details=always good stuff.

Susan-I had never thought of Dar as someplace I wanted to visit. I usually avoid the cities and get to the bush as fast as possible and then hurry home. Thanks for the ideas though. Liz

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:00 AM

Liz, hearing about others making arrangements really brings back fond memories. I can still smell the smoke from the grass fire on the Serengeti as we stood on the balony of the Sopa Lodge, the smell from "innards" of the wildebeast being devoured by lions, the taste of Safari beer, the "scream" of the hyrax, and the mist hanging around the crater rim as we drove into Ngorongora Crater. Ah, what a great way to relive the trip when I check with fellow travelers on this board. Thank you all.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:48 AM

ooh that description was wonderful! thanks Dick!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -