Cost of licensed tour guide in Morocco?

Old May 11th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Cost of licensed tour guide in Morocco?

I am in the process of planning a trip to Morocco for my husband and myself in the fall. I have contacted several tour companies who specialize in private/custom tours. In response to a question about "added expenses", they are telling me to tip the drive/guide about $20US per day. That's about 160 dirham/day, which seems high compared to what the books are saying a guide will "cost". Does that mean the only pay the guide will get will be whatever we tip? Is that what is generally accepted?

KathyN
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:48 AM

If you're in Morocco, you have to accept that the locals will try to part you from your money in whatever ways are possible. There is no way that the tip should be at that level, maybe half is about right. Whatever you do, have the right amount as you will wait for them to offer change for a long time.

Americans are generally considered to be fair game (as are most tourists) by those on the make--everyone!
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:26 AM

A licensed tour guide in Morocco costs at least 300 Dirhams per day, if not more.
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Lifeman and timsaah for your replies. It appears that the suggested tip of approximately $20 would be about half what a guide would "cost", then. This is on a custom and private tour which would be arranged before we go, which we've never done before but which seems an excellent way to maximize what we will get out of our trip to Morocco.
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Sorry, when i meant 300 dh per day, i forgot to mention a private guided tour, not with a group