compression socks

Old May 15th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
compression socks

On last minute question::
We are leaving tomorrow and when talking to a friend this morning she is sure that we should have compression socks to prevent blood clots on the long flights. I don't recall anyone on this board mentioning using them. Any opinions?
Thanks.
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:38 AM
santharamhari

Tigerpaw,

Compression socks. go to www.oxysocks.com I have been using them for running for the past two years after having lots of calf/shin issues. They do help that kind of thing......i doubt if you need them on a long flight, if you remember to drink lots of water (you will be forced to move around as you go to the restroom). Oxysocks can only be ordered online. For tomorrow's flight, dont know what other brand is available.

Hari

Old May 15th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Most large pharmacies/drug stores/chemists (dep. on what you call 'em) sell compression socks. Seriously good idea, especially if riding in coach on flights longer than 6-7 hours. You might even find them at airport shops if you arrive early enough.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Compression socks need to fit properly. Make sure you go somewhere that will measure you and get the size right. We wear them for long flights since there's not much reason not to and they might guard against pulmonary embolism.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:25 AM

I would do a search on compression socks on here ebcause I seem to remember that someone said they can be dangerous if not properly used or prescribed.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Here's that thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34622485
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions. Will see what we can do with only 1 day left!!
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:42 PM

My doctor strongly advised against anything tight when I asked him about those socks. He said I should wear only loose clothing. And of course drink water, walk around, exersize.

I guess if you don't have any health conditions, it's OK.
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Lin

There are several degrees of compression available when buying the socks. You can hedge your bets by purchasing the least-compressive style, which should give you some support and no worries about being too tight. If you wear them on the plane, I recommend bringing along another pair of socks because they won't keep your feet warm.
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:46 PM
santharamhari

Honestly, just forget the compression socks........you need to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated during the flight.......that's automatically going to make you walk about.......so just enjoy your trip!!! No more worries!!!

Let us know all about ur trip on return.

Hari

Old May 16th, 2006, 03:11 AM
africnow

Yes, agree. Drink - *water* and walk around a lot.

Also practice the seated foot and leg exercises that most airlines show immediatley after that silly so-called saftey film.

Old May 16th, 2006, 06:41 AM

I am the one who posted that reply in the other thread, and I'm going to re-post it here because it is something I feel strongly about (who knew it was even possible to feel strongly about socks?) :
Author: lisa
Date: 05/21/2005, 10:04 pm
As an otherwise healthy 30-something woman, I experienced multiple massive pulmonary emboli after getting deep vein thrombosis following lengthy international flights several years ago, and had 2 cardiac arrests. I found out later, after I recovered thanks to fantastic doctors and an experimental procedure for removing blood clots, that I have a genetic mutation that predisposes me to blood clots, and that about 1 in every 20 people have such a genetic predisposition. I now have to wear prescription support stockings whenever I fly. My doctor says that no one should wear them unless they have been properly measured and fitted for them. You can get measured for them and fitted at medical supply stores that sell them. If you buy some off the rack and they are too loose, then they are pointless (and good ones are expensive). If they are too tight, they can actually cause more harm than good, by constricting your veins too tightly which can cause blood clots. In fact, if you gain or lose 10 pounds they tell you to buy new ones. My doctor wrote me a prescription for mine, and then I was measured and fitted at the medical supply store where I bought them. They will teach you how to properly put them on and take them off (not like regular stockings because the pressure has to be uniform). I find them incredibly uncomfortable and would not wear them if I did not have to. I find them very tight, but uniformly so (in other words, they don't constrict you at the top any more than they do at the knees or at the ankles). They come in various lengths. I would strongly urge anyone considering these to talk to their doctor first, or at least go to a medical supply store that specializes in stuff like this rather than buying some off the rack at a drugstore.
Also, make sure you get up and walk around at least once every hour (even if the flight attendants don't like it), and drink LOTS of water, and elevate your legs if you can.