Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Combining Singita or Londolozi with Banyan Tree Seychelles?

Combining Singita or Londolozi with Banyan Tree Seychelles?

Sep 7th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Combining Singita or Londolozi with Banyan Tree Seychelles?

My husband and I are trying to blow a lot of airline miles. We could fly into Johanesberg business class, arrange for private air transfer to Singita or Londolozi for about 4 days, and then go on to the Banyan Tree Seychelles for about 4 days. It sounds divine - but is it too aggressive? We're not the type of people who have to see and do everything. We're just planning on hanging at the resorts mostly.
Sep 8th, 2003, 03:58 AM
sandi

Ericka - Go for it. Your choices are excellent. The only thing to remember is that while all your meals are included at Singita or Londolozi, it might be different on The Seychelles.

While this works well in the middle of the Sabi Sand because there is no place to go for food; that food at Singita is excellent.

At the Banyan they may be quoting prices with breakfast/dinner or breakfast only. Personally, I like the latter because you have the opportunity to discover other food options at restaurants around the island. Whereas, if you're paying for the dinner, you are "stuck" - and while stuck might not be so terrible, you might want to experience different cuisines. Just something to think about.

It's a good idea to rent a car (they have these cute open cars) for your stay and investigate the island, the various beaches, sites and it's there to take you the restaurant of your choice in the evenings. Also look into the full-day tours while in the Seychelles - to some of the other islands.

Enjoy!

Sep 8th, 2003, 07:39 AM

It sounds divine; however, it is a lot of air travelling. But who am I to speak? I just went to Tanzania and back in a week and got 21,000 air miles.

Have a great time.
Sep 8th, 2003, 09:02 AM

Are you in some kind of race? South Africa has so much to offer and you won't get any taste of Seychelles in four days either. Why not stay in SA. Read all posts here and you will learn what SA is all about. 4 days in SA? This is a joke, right? It seems that you are trying to see too much in a very short time. There is no easy transfer between Seychelles and SA. Are you aware that there is no connection every day of the week between these two countries? On the other hand there are plenty of flights between SA and Mauritius.
Sep 8th, 2003, 09:55 AM
sandi

Incognito -

You are absolutely right. But some people only want to do what they want to do.

We spent 8-days in the Seychelles and I could have stayed "forever" = and there is so much more to see and do in SA (all of Southern Africa for that matter).

I believe there are only 4-flights/wk to The Seychelles and if nothing else, even with lots of air miles - free is wonderful, but it's a damn long trip. You barely arrive after 25=hrs (or more) travel (door-to-door) that you're probably bouncing off the walls first day at Singita or Londolozi.

And then to The Seychelles (about 4-hrs) and then return to JNB to connect home - if all in one day for the return, one doesn't come back to the "world of the living" for about a week or more. Our return trip from The Seychelles (via NBO & AMS - with 2- & 3-hr layovers, each) was 36-hrs, not considering the fact that we had been up all day before our return flight. This girl wasn't a "happy camper" by the time she reached her front door.

But, hey, who am I to say - maybe Ericka only has 10-days available.

Sep 8th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Yes. All of your concerns are valid. Such rational people on this forum!

Of course, I'm lucky to get to this part of the world ONCE in my lifetime. It's doubtful it will happen again.
If we don't end up doing both, we may just do the Seychelles - couple of days at the resort, couple of days on a boat. Anyone have any experience with the Banyan Tree Seychelles?

Unfortunately, our vacation schedules will not support more than 10-12 days.
Sep 9th, 2003, 04:03 AM
sandi

Ericka -

As this last post mentions that you'd consider spending the entire time in The Seychelles and pass on SA - then I would do only the islands. South Africa definitely deserves more than 4-days at a safari lodge even your choices are the nices one can choose.

It is more than likely that you can get a "special" airfare to South Africa than to The Seychelles. So I'd use all those miles to fly via Paris onto Mahe. If you are using Delta miles - they are partner with both SAA as well as Air France. And Air France flies to The Seychelles. Hopefully, you can flights with miles straight thru. And you'd have to schedule your time on the islands based on the AF schedule for your to/fr flights.

As I mentioned in a previous post you can do at least two islands during your stay in SEZ and from say Praslin Island it is easy enough to do day-trips to La Digue and other small islands - this gives you a flavor. You also get to see all the wonderful beauty of the islands. Inter-island air you will have to arrange separaely (don't believe your ff miles will work for these).

You can spend 4-days on Mahe at the Banyan and another 3-5 days on Praslin, (or any combination) where there are lovely resorts.

On Praslin, Lemuria is the newest, however, it is a large property (about 80 rooms and villas) and full service with golf course, etc. However, there are two smaller more intimate hotels to consider - L'Achipel with 34 rooms (though they claim a min. 5-days) on a lovely beach, a beautiful property. Also The Black Parrot with 12 rooms, recently refurbished in '01, more intimate (have a 3-nt min during hi-season) and more remote.

Check these two out and see if they are to your liking.

A completely different alternative is to do a 7-day cruise between the islands - believe it's the Pearl of the Seychelles.

You have options here - but I must say, The Seychelles are a very special place and one that I'm sure will not disappoint.

Sep 9th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much Sandi. If we decide firmly on the Seychelles, we will likely spend some time on a private boat charter as well as the Banyan Tree. But I will definitely look into those resorts you mentioned just in case something tickles my fancy!

Our flight routing would have us going into Johannesburg via miles and we would then pay about $400 for our trip into Mahe via Seychelles Air. And, I may still discuss the idea of tacking on a short safari with my husband.
Sep 10th, 2003, 04:36 AM
sandi

Ericka -
Of course, you know your needs and schedule best. When you decide, if you need any more info, let's hear from you.

Jul 8th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Ericka,

What did you decide? I am looking at the exact locations you originally enquired after - Seychelles then Singita - and am curious how this trip worked out for you?
Jul 8th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi Krystan!

We aren't going until next August or September of next year. Because we use airline miles to fly 1st or business, and because I am a planner by nature, I book trips 11 months in advance.

Ha! At this rate, you may end up going before me. I expect a trip report.

We should keep each other posted on our progress! My other favorite option right now is Jao in Botswana. I think it would combine really well with Singita.

Search this Thread