Search

Cholera Inj for Ken/Tanz

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cholera Inj for Ken/Tanz

Do we need to get a Cholera vaccination for Kenya or Tanzania?
I've had conflicting stories.
Cheers
Dot
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 11:31 PM

Our advice from the Travel Doctor regarding Cholera was that it is a waste of time as it doesn't work. They make a note in the yellow vaccination book which looks official but you don't actually get a vaccination. If you visit the your local Travel Doctor (here in Australia) rather than a GP, they will have the latest info. Your risk from Cholera is pretty low if you follow normal hygiene re water, peeling vegetables/fruit etc.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 06:52 AM

Not sure where you are travelinig from? Cholera vaccine is not available in the US, for example.

Vaccine is at best 62% effective and needs to be renewed every six months. To my knoweldge (I work in a Travel Clinic) no country currently REQUIRES the vaccine for entry. It is suggested for aid and refugeee workers (only) going to Tanzania and not for Kenya.

If there were an actual cholera outbreak, Doxycycline can help prevent it (as well as malaria).
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 07:42 AM

I had twaffle's exact experience. Never got one and I tend to get all the recommended vaccines, etc. for Africa or other remote places. I err on the side of caution. No cholera vaccination for me at this point.

Happy travels.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 01:31 PM

sally -

Are you from OZ? If so, I'd check what inocs you require for re-entry having been to Kenya/Tanzania.

Otherwise, as others, had learned years ago cholera inoc isn't effective, not recommended, and here in the States not even available.

Old Nov 30th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Yep Sandi, from Oz.
I didnt think we needed one, but our agent when getting our Visa application, said we needed Cholera and Yellow Fever.
But we wont do it.
Thanks for your help everyone.
You'll be glad when we've finally gone, down from 667 to 107 days!
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 06:34 PM

Hi Dot

I am also in Australia - and have not been to Kenya/Tanzania since 2001. At that time, as Twaffle says, they stamped my book but no booster injection was given as it was no longer considered to be effective. At that time, if the book wasn't stamped, they may have given an injection then and there. We also went to the Travel Doctor, though one in Brisbane.

I would check with them as to what is required as it is odd that your travel agent would be saying that you require one. I am sure I did have the Yellow Fever injection which I think lasts for 10 years. I only go to South Africa and it is not a requirement for this country.

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 05:25 AM

Coming direct from OZ you don't need YF or Cholera for entry to Kenya or Tanzania, but again... verify with your own government what is required by them for re-entry. It's possible Yellow Fever is required.

However, if on landing in Africa you are visiting Kenya first, you will require the Yellow Fever inoc for entry to Tanzania.

If you've had YF previously, as Kaye mentions, that jab is good for 10/years. Be sure to bring the "yellow" card/booklet as proof of same.