Chobe and/or Delta

Oct 10th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Chobe and/or Delta

I am planning a trip to Botswana, S. Africa and Victoria Falls in mid Feb. The more posts I read the more excited I get about Botswana. Considering the time of year, should I plan for 2 areas (Chobe and delta)of Botswana or am I better off with one and spending more time in Sabi area of S. Africa. As for V. Falls..same question..which area would be best at that time. Thanks so much
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:58 AM

The amount of time and the budget will determine where and which areas to dedicate most of your time.

Assuming that you have the regular 14 window to travel you can in fact combine all four areas quite smoothly.
Day 1. Sabi. for three nights. Assumption made that you'll arrive early enough to make the flight to the sands.
Day 4. Overnight in JNB. Flight connections to either Vic Fall and or Bots from SA do not connect with the flights out of the sands.
day 5: Delta for three nights. Select your property based on the camp that will allow you the greatest diversity of activities.
day 8. Light aircraft to the north. Savuti/Linyati/Chobe.
Day 10: flight to Livingstone/Vic Falls.
Day 12: Flight to JNB, connect to international and return home.

In my opinion if you end up in Bots you can't afford to miss the delta, it is Botswanas jewel. If you had more time then I would encourage you to head into the Khalahri for an additional two nights.

Lastly. At that time of year the falls are great from either Zim or Zam sides.

hope that helps?
Oct 10th, 2005, 06:55 PM

I would highly recommend that you plan for 2 areas (Chobe/Delta or Linyanti/Delta) in Botswana. The landscape and even the animals are very very different. I can't speak to Sabi since se saved all of our safari for Botswana. But really, it's so magical you won't regret it.

As for VF, it's an interesting visit, but nothing like being on safari. In many ways I enjoyed the Zambezi river just as much as the falls.

Judy
Oct 10th, 2005, 07:47 PM

mkhonzo's itinerary sounds good, though I'd spend longer in the Linyanti and be tempted to miss Chobe...at least three nights in each of the delta and the Linyanti area (remember, two nights means only one full day, not enough to do justice to a visit). Both Chobe and Vic Falls are probably 'musts' for a first-timer but after you've seen them, it's a matter of 'been there, done that.' Chobe riverfront is too crowded/managed for me. Vic Falls is in the same category. Like Judy, I'm more interested in being on or along the river, the further from people, the better.
Oct 11th, 2005, 05:53 AM

My last nights in Bots were effectively a choice of either the Linyanti or Chobe regions. I do agree with Afrigala that Chobe is a little too populated, however my opinion is based on my experience in Africa, for a first timer, this are might be suitable due to budget restraints and time.

I recommend that the delta be at least three nights because of the variety of acctvitities: Mokoro trips, power boat to the rookery in the lagoons, walks & 4x4 Safari. Less time excludes some of the actvity.

Search this Thread