Chitabe or Sandibe in September?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which one of these comes would you recommend for September and if Chitabe which Chitabe camp:main or Chitabe Lediba? Thanks! Ivee
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 06:07 AM

So is Chitabe Lediba the new name for what was Chitabe Trails?

If so Main Camp and the Lediba/Trails are a few hundred meters apart. When I stayed at Main Camp, there appeared to be more lion and hyena action at Lediba/TrailsCamp. Guests would share a vehicle, so we could compare notes. Though Main Camp had a leopard kill in the camp that was treed in the branches next to my outdoor shower.

Main Camp was bigger with 16 guests, I believe and the other camp has about 10.

The game drives or walks were the same regardless of the camp.

Then there is the Chitabe <u>Walking </u>Trails Camp. You walk to this one and stay out all night on a mattress with mosquito netting on raised platform overlooking a lagoon. There is a second walking trails camp that accommodates more people. The overnight outing includes a night drive and a private dinner. I loved it.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks but I made a mistake: I mean the choice between one of the Chitabes compared to Sandibe Sorry and thanks! Ivee
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Actually you were clear. I just wrote about the one I knew about.

I would pick Chitabe because that's where I've been and really enjoyed it and I have not been to Sandibe. I think the Chitabe options in themselves make it more attractive. If you wanted to do the night at the hide walking trails, then Chitabe is your choice. If you want the smallest camp, that's the Lediba/Trails option of Chitabe.

The one distinction I can make is this: I spent an hour or more almost every day over 8 days at a wild dog den in Chitabe. I asked why I never saw a Sandibe vehicle there. The answer was, &quot;They can come but they have to get permission.&quot; So I don't know if Wilderness owns a bigger area or if the dogs just happened to pick the Wilderness part of the concession to den in. Chitabe is known to have active wild dogs and I've never heard that sometimes they den in the Sandibe area and Chitabe must get permission to traverse.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Chitabe Lediba-outstanding
Regards-Chuck
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 03:58 PM

I can't compare Chitabe with Sandibe because I haven't been to the latter. But I loved Chitabe Trails (now Lediba). Josephine, one of the managers, told me part of the re-naming of the camp was due to guests booking at Chitabe Trails thinking they were booking Walking Trails. Lediba is the smaller camp, and the atmosphere there was wonderful. Game viewing was equally fantastic. If you click on my name you should be able to find my trip report and photo link.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 02:23 PM

Dana, that is exactly what I thought was going on with the Lediba name.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Hi Lynn,
Josephine said that guests were not happy when they realized it was not Walking Trails, and that their TAs specifically told them it was. But, she also told me about the group that said their TA told them they could mekoro at Chitabe...there was nothing she could do about that one though

I didn't miss a thread on gorillas in 09 did I? If so, could you bump the link? If I didn't miss it, are you still planning/organizing a group trip?
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 05:07 PM

Dana,
I am interested in gorillas in Aug of 09, but have not posted anything on it again. Thanks for checking!
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Ivee, You'll have to let us know your final decision.

Dana M, On the gorillas, I think I'll team up with Divewop (Sandy) for Aug of 09 for about 4 gorilla visits in Rwanda and a golden monkey trip. Are you thinking of being part of the team?
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for my late reply! It finally has become Sandibe, simply because Chitabe was not available at our dates - if not I think we would have chose Chitabe . We are 2 couples travelling together which makes it even more difficult to find place. But I am quite happy with our final trip My other CCA experiences were very good and I think it will work out fine. Also as in our trip we have already Little Kwara for water activities.
Thanks for your comments! Ivee
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 05:37 PM

ivee,

LK is both land and water.

They have a unique boat trip to the heronery to see all the herons and tons of migratory birds. Mekeros to me is a waste of time - if you've done it once it's plenty.......

Ofcourse, very good gameviewing on the drives.

Hari