Check luggage straight through?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going to London via United and then onto Joburg with SAA on miles. They are partners. We have an eight hour layover in London and may rent a pod room for a shower and rest. We do have to change terminals. I do not think we can carry on our luggage which is what I would prefer to do- but out of London it is difficult because of their limitations. My question is what practical precautions should I take if I check luggage straight through? The problem is that I have to have our luggage arrive properly in Joburg as we leave 24 hours later to Maun and eight day safari. I know this is a problem other people have had- advice?
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:02 AM

I have a similar set-up -- BOS-LHR with a 10-12 hour layover -- and then only three hours in JNB before continuing on to Madagascar. I'm taking a day room and I'm taking "all" my luggage with me. They don't call it "Thief-Row " for nothin'! I'm sure the connection would be fine, it's the sitting-on-the-ground part that I don't like. I don't mean to scare anyone -- I'm always a little paranoid at the beginning of a long (or short) trip.
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:37 AM

The only advice I can give is to think what items you will absolutely need to have with you in Maun and can't be replaced in Jo'Burg and be sure they are in your carry-ons. You can never be sure your checked luggage will arrive. Be prepared to go shopping to replace other necessities during your 24 hours in Jo'Burg. Have a list of what you will need with sizes. Also have a list of what is in your checked bags so if one doesn't show, you won't have to waste time tring to figure out what is missing and possibly forget to shop for something.
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:45 AM

If i were you, i would clear my bags in Heathrow and re-check them in for the next flight. If not, i would be anxious about the bags the entire trip!!! Plus you hv plenty of time......It's two different airlines, different terminals and United isn't the most reliable with it's service.

Hari
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

All good advice! I think I will take Hari's advice and claim our luggage at Heathrow and then recheck it. If there was a way that I could carry on all, I would, but I think the limitation of one carry on out of Heathrow will prevent me from doing that.
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:55 AM

While on the luggage checking topic, what do you think about flights from Washington DC to JNB on SAA and then three hours later from JNB to Windhoek on SAA? Should we check our bags all the way through or claim them in JNB and then recheck?
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:11 AM

i checked mine all the way through and had an 8 hour layover in london as well.
i was happy not to have the bags with me. they arrived safely. i had two locks on each bag- a zipper lock as well as "pac safe" which cost about $16 usd and looks like a giant seatbelt. both were tsa approved.

as others suggested, i had necessities in my carry on. there is a boots in the terminal in heathrow and there is a similar type shop in jo-burg airport as well in case you need to purchase emergency toiletries.

absolutely have all meds/prescriptions/supply of mozzie repellent, reservation forms, credit card back ups, itineraries, contact phone numbers, personal items with you in the plane.

the pod rooms had not opened when i was there but boy is that a great idea. they will have all the amenities you require for bathing.

i would not worry too much about your bags going missing. i flew ba, the worst lost luggage rate in the business at the time and had no problems.

kerikeri