Search

changing flight plans

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing flight plans

hi there,i already have my tickets here for leaving march 10th. flying NORTHWEST,KLM,KENYA AIRWAYS.if i changed my mind on something and wanted to make a change. not so much the dates. but destination,is that a problem? what would it take to do this? has anyone done this after having your tickets?
thx, d
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:19 AM

Ticket change - not specific to your airlines or destination advice. Usually involves a fee, depending on ticket class/code/rate.

It will also depend on whether or not you booked flights as one - presumably thru NWA, or did each leg on your own with each airline. And will depend on which flights you want to change - for example, if Kenya Airways flight is only change, then it will likely cost you less than if all 3 airlines are changing.

The bad news is that it usually costs more to change destination than schedule - but the only real way to find out is to call airline on which you want to make changes. It is possible, unfortunately, that you may have to cancel and rebook - but don't do anything until you speak to airline representative. If you have any trouble getting the info you need, ask to speak with a supervisor.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

hi thx, i already recieved email from northwest.they gave me a number to call for international flights.
i am considering ditching uganda and going straight to kenya-was leaving from there any way. but if it involves a hefty fee-i will leave as is.
thx for your input, d
ps, will post on the out come
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 04:24 AM

The one thing to remember is that if you miss/do not take any leg of your trip, they will likely cancel the rest of your itinerary. Does not sound like you are doing this, but don't just try to make alternate plans to Kenya, skipping Uganda - or you may get stuck someplace you had not planned on!
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

no kidding!even if i talk with these people and tell them i want to: fly into kenya from amsterdam and then leave kenya into amsterdam then back to the states. i am going through amsterdam anyway over and back.the only thing missing is: flying into uganda, then fly from uganda to kenya.will be interesting to see how this plays out.
thx, d
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

hi gail, i would even be willing to leave uganda a couple of days early. still kenair. by the way all these airlines work together.i will see what the damage is between the two options.
thx, d
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 12:18 PM

Usually there's a $100-$200 penalty for changes to international itineraries. In addition to the penalty, you'll have to pay any difference between the original fare you paid and the current fare for the new destination. Keep us updated.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

ok,will let you guys know when i know.
thx, d
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:31 PM

Dave,

Different airline, but I changed my Delta Airline/Air France ticket recently. Upon returning to Amsterdam from Tanzania & Zanzibar (different ticket, going with KLM & Air Kenya), I allowed two nights in Amsterdam. However, my flight home to Los Angeles had a stopover in Paris and I later changed it so that it would be a stopover of about 48 hours rather than two hours, allowing two nights in Paris.

I was charged only $50 per ticket for this change, and I consider it well worth it to allow for two nights in Paris (a Friday and Saturday night).
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 04:02 PM

Hi Dave,

In my experience, changing destination is more challenging (and more expensive) than changing dates when you fly. Good luck -- let us know how it turns out.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

ok hi guys, this is what my airfare lady sent me today:

Hi David,

The rules of your ticket are tricky; but the same as usual.

If you change the outbound flight to Entebbe, you start over completely. You have the value of the old ticket to apply towards a new ticket, less the $200 Change Penalty.

If you change the return, you pay the $200 Change Penalty plus any difference in fare. For example, if you change the return while in Africa and the flight is almost sold out for the day you want; it could cost a lot more than $200 to get on that plane. But if you're flexible, you can usually work something out to avoid the additional fare.

Thanks for your patience,
Stephanie

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:37 PM

how come you are ditching Uganda? Just curious....
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

hi, i am not now. nothing to do with uganda per-say. something else.
cheers, d