ccafrica camps, Botswana in July 2006

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ccafrica camps, Botswana in July 2006

I am almost ready to book my next trip to southern africa, and I am going to return to Botswana. I am, at the moment, going exclusively with ccafrica. I will be having one week at each Sandibe and Nxegeba, then I will finish off at Bateleur in the Sabi Sands, cannot help myself!

I am very keen to see sable and roan antelope, but also the little night animals - really I am happy to see everything and anything, except not keen on baboons and monkeys.

If anyone has any comments on the Botswana lodges, I would be happy to hear from you.

Kaye
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 06:43 PM

hi kaye,
if you are really looking for roan and sable you should take a trip up to the linyanti/savuti area. i dont think sandibe or nxebega are up that far. i think they would have more okavango species like red lechwe etc. the only camp in the delta that i know of to consistently have sable is vumbura. i never been to teh ccafrica lodges so i may be wrong but in general havent heard many sighting of roan/sable in the delta. hoep this helps.
oh and by the way, (not that this is any help) teh best lodge to see these 2 species is makololo in zimbabwe. we saw herds at very close range of each. roan especially are very shy so this experience was very unique to me.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:19 AM

Kaye

We saw Roan at KP in July. Concur that Linyanti / Savuti is the spot. Our guide at Savuti in 04 said Sable would likely show up in September.

I think Zim is best for Roan and Sable, though as usual I may be wrong.

Haven't you seen Sable at MM?
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Matt

Saw one stunning sable bull in September 2001 near the windmill. He was magnificent! and we got fairly close. Then in the same trip at Chobe, we saw a single sable bull, 2 days in a row. Haven't seen any since.

In a cable special, with the Kruger Park specials, they had a team move sable antelope up in Malawi. Watching 100's of sable in a herd is now on my wish list, though I would be almost as happy with another single bull!

Kaye
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:21 PM

We saw many sable at Little Vumbura in May 2004. They were comfortable with the vehicle and we were able to get great photos. The game viewing was good, not exceptional. However, the camp setting was stunning.
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 07:03 AM

hi! have just returned from kwando camps where we saw a fine herd of sable at lagoon, small herd at lebala and a solitary male at kwara .we spotted a couple of roan at lebala .went on mobile with ccafrica in 2004 and i spotted 1 roan on the track between nogatsaa and savuti. we finished our trip with them at nxegeba which is a beautiful camp. scenery gorgeous there too. saw a couple of leopard at night, but maily enjoyed the lovely surrounding, vegetation and the giraffes for which the area is named. lucky you being able to spend a full week at each of the ccafrica camps. can highly recommend the kwando camps too if youīve even more time and money. good luck and happy travelling- lorraine
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Hi Lorraine,

Yes I am lucky! I was getting a little bit worried about the sable and roan, but have heard from ccafrica this morning and they assure me that my chances are very good for seeing sable and roan.

Are you saying that the gameviewing is a bit on the sparse site at Nxabega? My passion is gameviewing, almost anything I am happy to watch. You have me wondering if I should lessen the days at Nxageba and increase my days at Sandibe.

I am finishing off this Botswana trip with a stay at Londolozi in the Sabi Sands.

Hopefully I will get to see my sable and roan, I would love to see them in a herd, small or large, but I will be happy to see a beautiful relaxed bull by himself a few times as well.

Kaye
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi Lorraine again,

The vehicle at CCAfrica, were they the same as at Kwando. For a bit of time I was leaning towards the Kwando camps, but the seating configuration put me off, as I am travelling by myself I can see myself being stuck in the middle! I am amazed that I haven't asked this question already!

Kaye
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 02:31 AM

hi kaye!

there were lots of animals at nxegeba, but generally of the antelope and ele kind. other than a couple of leopards at night we didnīt see any predators - BUT that was in 2004 and all could be different now. hot spots for predators and viewing thereof would appear to be kwando camps (very good tracking!!!!) and doba plains (lion+ buffalo interaction). afraid i havenīt been to sandibe so canīt say anything re that. thereīs often great predator viewing in the savuti area, but we saw that all on mobile with ccafrica. certainly itīs the SCENERY and water activities thatremain memorable from our time in nxebega.

the vehicle seating configuration is different at ccafrica. three rows of two seats .donīt worry about being stuck in the middle at kwando seating is changed for every drive....if there is someone hogging the better seats just have a word with your guide or camp host and all will be well i can assure you. the two x 3 configuration makes for a more comfortable ride (lots of heavy off roading with kwando) and also means that youīll be able to hear your guide more easily. night drives at kwando are brilliant. they are REALLY keen on their gameviewing. must also agree with bigcountry that sable and particularly roan sightings are more likely in chobe,linyanti+kwando rivers areas.

have fun deciding! all the best - lorraine