Search

Caracal or Serval Sighting

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caracal or Serval Sighting

Hi, I am new to posting on the Forum but have spent many happy hours reading and viewing your trips.

I am fascinated by all of the cat species and have never seen the above in the wild. I would really like to maximise my chance of seeing one of the above cats in late February 2008.

I have driven myself almost mad searching via the net and trying to determine the best place to go. Funds are limited and therefore so is time (and I know I need to book asap)but any recommendations would be great.

I have narrowed the choice down to 6N in the Kwando concession in Botswana with perhaps an ext. to the Tuli block or possibly 6N in the Porini camps in Kenya. Both offer night drives and some history.

I am lucky to have been on Safari previously to Kenya , Tanzania and Namibia and Botswana albeit with large groups on budget trips at times.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any replies
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 05:53 AM
sniktawk

I have seen caracal once at Lagoon, we had a Leopard on one side of the vehicle and the caracal on the other of course this was at night. Serval sightings are more regular at Kwando, but none in daylight.
In over 200 days on Safari, I have seen Caracal on four occasions and Serval on around 20, you will need good luck. My best sightings were in the Mara this year both in daylight, you can see my pictures at www.sniktawkwild.com.

Once again good luck!

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 05:57 AM

I don't know if the places you mention offer reliable sightings, but you might enjoy these serval pics from earlier this year in Tanzania ... the first 3 servals we saw checked us out and ducked down and disappeared but this one near Ndutu calmed down and gave us a great show ... still lQQking for my first caracal ...

http://www.hiltonphotography.net/afr...nia/serval.htm

http://www.hiltonphotography.net/afr...a/ndutu-12.htm

Bill

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 06:00 AM

<b>My best sightings were in the Mara this year both in daylight</b>

Wow, those kitten pics are cute! Great shots.

Bill
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 06:15 AM

Planning a trip around Caracals? good luck .....

My only Caracal in 8 trips to Africa was this past june. Very early in the morning about 10 mins after we left Lebala to go spend two days at Lagoon.

Serval sightings are pretty good. I have seen servals day and night at Lebala.

But...Bear in mind, by February depending on the rains between now and then, the grasses will be taller.

For the big cats for February, isn't Southern Serengeti a great option? Why Kenya?
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 06:24 AM

PS: Have been chatting with Bill on another thread RE cheetahs at Ndutu between jan-march.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 06:33 AM
sniktawk

Bill H

Your serval pictures are great, I bet they were more difficult to take than kittens playing near their den.

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 06:39 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35091562

Since you asked about Kenya ......
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 06:39 AM

sniktawk, if it wasn't for the mouse I'd gladly trade mine for your kittens
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 07:15 AM

Servals are more common than caracals. My only brief caracal sighting at night was in Selinda in Botswana. Hills27 saw a family (if I recall correctly) at Phinda in South Africa.

Other places I've seen serval:
Duba Plains, Botswana.
Maasai Mara, Kenya--2 in one day and each were photographable
South Luangwa, Zambia--1 at night
Kafue, Zambia-3 daylight sightings in 4 days
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 07:48 AM

Well over a hundred game drives

1 Caracal sighting - at night for a couple of minutes between Lebala and Lagoon.

4 Serval sightings - 3 at Mala Mala
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 07:53 AM

I've been on six safaris, so dozens of drives, and have only seen one caracal (at Savuti Camp). I've seen several serval, including at Savuti, the Masai Mara, Ngorongoro and Kruger.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies and the amazing photos. I had discounted Tanzania, for 2 reasons and chosen Kenya for the Mara as my wife is reluctant to return as we had our first Safari here and to be honest does not feel that any revisit could live up to that first one.

I also think a &quot;caracal safari&quot; is a bit extreme but I would love to see all of the cat species (who wouldn't I suppose?) and these two are high up on my list, so I want to choose the best locations to give me the best chance . I have been lucky with other cats in Africa; Asia and South America and want to give these a go.

In summary it would seem that the Kwando Concession offers the best chance and many of the sightings were indeed here or in the Mara.

Thanks again I appreciate your time in replying, I will now try and put the trip together.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Any of the cat species any place anywhere are good. To ever pin your hopes on a caracal is setting yourself up for disappointment.

That reminded me of a Mombo guide who told the tale of being out with a family and seeing a leopard, then serval, cheetah, African wildcat, and the elusive caracal, all in one day. To complete their cat game viewing they were going for the lion. Never did find one that day.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 10:31 AM

Have seen serval at night in Laikipia (Kenya). Haven't seen caracal yet.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 11:04 AM
sniktawk

This is the sort of posting I like, firstly we have a good question from someone who is clearly interested in animals, secondly we have useful responses, encompassing all of what we should be saying. Even I have not been able to say anything negative about WS.

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM

<b>Even I have not been able to say anything negative about WS.</b>

I was beginning to think you were just another Forum Grouch, but after seeing your photos for the first time I think you are holding out on us, those photos are really good
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 11:32 AM

caracal - Selinda at night.

serval - Sth Luangwa near Tafika camp &amp; the old Nsolo camp

Geoff.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 11:54 AM

eight safaris in Africa and have seen a caracal in Vumbura in Botswana---never seen the Serval but Zambia souded like a good chance...South Luangwa...it's all chance...had never seen Roan antelope or honey badgers till Kings Pool...
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 12:17 PM

A few serval cats; no caracal yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -