Search

Capricorn Mobile Safaris

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capricorn Mobile Safaris

I am considering a trip with Wilderness Travel that uses Capricorn's mobile tented safari. I haven't had any luck finding comments about them, and was hoping to get some feedback.

Given that I'd be spending 8 nights with Capricorn, it would be best if I like them. I'm particular curious about the food, since my instinct is to expect that the lack of a permanent cooking area would make it difficult to serve varied food. What should I expect?

Also, the trip spends 2 nights at Xugana Lodge in the Okavango, which also has a lack of reviews. Anyone been there?

BTW, here's the low-down on the trip, in case there's something important I should know about the itinerary:

1 night Maun: Montsentsela Tree Lodge
2 nights Moremi / Xakanaxa: mobile camp
2 nights Okavango: Xugana Lodge
2 nights Moremi / Khwai: mobile camp
2 nights Chobe / Savuti: mobile camp
2 nights Chobe / Serondella: mobile camp
1 night Livingstone: Royal Livingstone Hotel

Thanks!
-- Ethan
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:01 AM

I don't know anything about Capricorn mobile but I can assure you that not having a permanent kitchen doesn't mean you'll have crummy meals. I did a mobile with Game Trails a few years ago. Our cook created better meals over her wood fire than I do in my own kitchen!
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 06:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I agree about the food. I've done mobiles in the same areas with GameTrails and with Simon and Joyce Paul (Maun Rest Camp) and the food was very good on both trips. Freshly baked breads and cakes included.

I don't know of Capricorn.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 08:35 AM

You will not be dissapointed doing this trip. The outfitter, Capricorn, is one of the top 3 companies to do a mobile safari with in Botswana, of that standard. You will be pleasantly surprised by the food, If you e-mail me at [email protected] I will give you some more info, if you want
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM

No personal experience but I'd expect good food and you can too.

Are you going in June? That would be a fine time for these spots.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 12:07 AM

I have been several times in Botswana, twice on mobile and self driving. Though not with Capricorn, I have seen them and their camps on many occasions, it's a top range company. They used, if I remember and if it still so, very comfortable Kenya style Land Cruisers with open roof and only 4 seats. But ask AlwynM, I guess he knows them very well. Concerning the food, I agree with Lillipets and Sundowner, it's amazing what you can cook on a wood fire.
Concerning Xugana, I was there 10 years ago, so I guess the camp and the rooms must have been refurbished since then. I have a good souvenir of the few days I spent there. Most of the drives were made on the water and I remember that I saw there a huge crocodile,a monster, the biggest I ever saw in all my trips in Africa, and a great variety of birds and a sitatunga.

Mike