Search

capetown: need guidance

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
capetown: need guidance

I am a 33 yr old woman from NYC, travelling with my boyfriend to Capetown in the Mar 30 - Apr. 13 time frame. I've just decided to make this trip happen and need to make travel arrangements ASAP. I'm on a moderate budget, but would be appreciate advice/insight on the following: 1. how long should i stay in capetown?, 2. accomodation reccomendations? (can't afford Cape Grace) 3. what activities/sights do I absolutely have to see?
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:31 PM

Can you tell us a little more about your interests? No sense wasting time talking about the wine tour if you don't drink or about diving with great whites if you are not an adventure junkie. How long do you plan to spend in CT and where else are you going?
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

I am only visiting Cape Town and am flexible on length of stay. I can stay for a maximum of 14 days, but was hoping to stay for 10-12, but don't want to short change my stay. I'm not interested in adventure. I am interested in great sites, wines, good restaurants, connecting with the local community, and seeing worthwhile sites. I like "off the beaten path" stuff, except for hotels. I'd like to be centrally located. Should I stay in the same hotel the whole time or should I stay in wineland too? I'm not really outdoorsy all though I may be interested in the bamboob walk. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:32 PM

we live in Cape Town and have an exchange student staying with us at the moment so are revisiting the tourist routes. Our list for her has included:

Boulders Beach for the penguins
Cable Car up Table Mountain
The museums - SA Museum, Gold Museum, District 6, National Art gallery, Holocaust museum etc
Tea at the Mount Nelson
V&A Waterfront include a boat ride round it and to Robben Island
Chapmans Peak Drive
Muizenberg
Simonstown and Fishoek
Historic Malay Quarter in town
Cape Point
Kirstenbosch gardens
Day trips can include:
The strand/ Somerset West - out to Vergelen for lunch
Franschoek
Stellenbosch
Onrus and Hermanus are an hours drive and beautiful

If you want to drive further out Oudtshoorn for the Cango Caves and Buffelsdrift are great but take 4-5 hours to get there so you should perhaps stay over - try buffelsdrift.com (maybe see if they have their winter special on - brilliant)
Cape Agulas (sp?) and straisbaai (sp?)
Up the west coast to Langebaan perhaps
Also use www.wheretosaty.co.za - that's a site a lot of us locals use for planning weekends away.
10 days in Cape Town would be perfect and up to 14 if you are going to include Oudtshoorn etc

For accomodation in Cape Town try the website above.
Winschester Mansions on the beach front in Sea Point is nice and there are loads of bed and breakfasts. Junction Hotel in Green Point/ town area is good and don't dismiss the big Hoilday Inn and the Cullinan onthe foreshore - esay walk to the waterfront from both

Good luck - hope this has helped
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:06 AM

Note tickets to Robben Island are always sold out for days in advance.

Hylton Ross offers a combination township and Robben Island tour and they reserve several tickets each day. This was the only way I was able to see Robben Island. The township tour was quite interesting also.

www.hyltonross.com