Cape Town trip duration and short 2-day safaris

Nov 15th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Cape Town trip duration and short 2-day safaris

My wife and I are arriving in Cape Town on July 3, 2008 and leaving on the 18th. Within these dates, we are planning on flying up to Cairo for a few days so I am trying to figure out how many days to stay in Cape Town.

We do want to go on some sort of a short 2-day or so "safari" (if it can be called such). I have seen several different 2-day, 1-night safaris on-line. Does anybody have any experience with any of these and can help me decide which one is best?

I've read a lot of the Cape Town posts on here, so I have a pretty good idea of what to do in the area. I just need to decide how many days we'll be spending there and how many in Cairo.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Just a quick thought.......it's a LONG way from Cape Town to Cairo. EgyptAir used to have a direct flight from Johannesburg and that might be the most efficient way to get there - but it's like a 9 hour flight! Just seems like you will be wasting a lot of time getting there and back. If you want to do both places, is there anyway to fly into one and fly out of the other???
Nov 16th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Hi steve,

I agree -into one and out of the other would be the way to go if you have to fit in Cairo. we recently did AMS -CPT and JBG -AMS and it's pretty tiring, thoguh of course you don't have jet-lag. more importantly, it takes 2 whole days out of your trip. so your 15 days [in reality 13 if your leave out days in and out] come down to 11.

11 days for CPT, Cairo, and safari seems too short. plus July in Cairo will be VERY hot.

so I would suggest scrapping Cairo.

in the time you have, you could spend a week in CPT [more than enough to do] drive along the garden route, and then spend 3 nights at one of the private game parks north of Port elizabeth, catching a flight out of PE airport to connect in CPT or JBG. [that's a slightly longer version of the trip we did in July '07 and it was really great.]

or CPT, garden route, fly PE to JBG and a safari in Kruger.

or, if you must, CPT, flight to JBG for Kruger safari, JBG to Cairo.

if you book at one of the private game reserves, the safari element is all inclusive as, generally, is food, drinks, etc.

regards, ann
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

I agree that tackling both Cape Town and Cairo in a two-week period is going to be difficult. I want to go to Cape Town, the wife wants to go to Cairo, so this is how it's going to have to be next summer.

I have tried going into one city and out the other. I travel quite a bit for business, so, as usual, I'm using air miles for this trip. United does not allow going into Cairo and out of Cape Town (or the reverse). Delta does allow that sort of an open jaw, but they don't have any availability in July 2008. The best I could do was get a round trip from San Francisco to Cape Town using my United miles. At least it's in business class.

The good news on the JNB-CAI-JNB legs is that they are both overnight flights so it's not like we're wasting an entire day traveling each way. My wife and I are both pretty good about sleeping on planes, so that doesn't bother me too much. I fly so much, that flying a round trip between CPT and CAI doesn't faze me one bit. My wife is pretty good about that as well.

My biggest concern is that it looks like we'll have five or six days in each city, and that assumes we're splitting our time evenly between both (other than seeing the pyramids, we're not sure of much else in Cairo). A big multi-day safari doesn't interest either of us, but I have seen some private game reserves on line that offer two-day, one-night "safaris" and that is right up our alley. I'm just hoping between now and July to get some ideas as to which ones might be better than others.

I know that July is not the best time to visit either Cairo or Cape Town, but my wife is a school teacher, so the only time we can take a multi-week trip is during her summer break (she likes to be home during the Christmas holidays). So, as I mentioned earlier, this is how it is going to have to be. I just now need to find a way to make the best of it.

Nov 17th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

I probably haven't been clear but we want to do one of these two-day, one-night "safaris" from Cape Town. I have seen a few private game reserves that are 1-3 hours from Cape Town and that is what we are looking at. We're not looking to fly anywhere else just to go to one of these.

I know the game viewing in the Cape Town area doesn't compare with other areas in Africa, but as I mentioned earlier, that's not at the top of our list right now.
Nov 17th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Hi, drinker,

i think you'll have a job finding anyone whose done one of these "safaris" on this board. most are a tad more adventurous! i had a look on google, and one in the karoo looked quite good. it seems a bit more like a "safari park" rather than a real game reserve, but that's probably just me.

given that you are going in July, it's low season and you wshoudln't have rto book yet, so you've got plenty of planning time.

you might also like to look at options north of CPT in namaqualand, which we never got to, but looks fascinating.

I still don't understand why you feel the need to do the safari out of CPT - as you are flying from Jo'burg to Cairo and back, why can't you do your safari closer to Jo'burg, at kruger? there are plenty of self-drive options available if you don't want to splurge, and accommodation in the parks is available through www.sanparks.co.za

happy planning,

regards, ann

Search this Thread