Cape Town to Durban

Jul 26th, 2019, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Cape Town to Durban

We are planning a holiday to South Africa In April/May 2020. We will both be retired and are planning to spend around four weeks on this holiday.
We are going to fly into Cape Town and out of Durban.
Our plan is to drive to Stellenbosch from the airport (we visited Cape Town during a previous holiday). Spend a few days exploring the area around Stellenbosch then drive the garden route ending up in Port Elizabeth. How long would you recommend we allow to explore the garden route?
We will fly to Durban, spending a few days exploring the town and then head to the battlefields.
We want to stay at a private game lodge at some point during this holiday.
Please can anyone recommend hotels in Stellenbosch, Durban, along the garden route and around the battlefields.
Any recommendations for game lodges would also be appreciated along with any other comments regarding our itinerary and dates.
Jul 27th, 2019, 12:44 AM

We stayed in a beautiful B&B in Durban called the Neuk, it was in Morningside, walking distance to Florida Road restaurants. The B&B has secure parking, the rooms are charming, the owners very kind and hospitable. Out of our two visits to Durban, we preferred staying in Durban rather than Umhlanga Rocks. However Umhlanga does have some great hotels (eg Oyster Box), B&Bs and restaurants so might be worth considering, we stayed at Sylvan Grove B&B which was very nice, great location and breakfasts but there are many to choose from. South African B&Bs are generally great.

Couple websites which are very good for booking South African accommodation:-
https://www.sa-venues.com/
https://www.wheretostay.co.za/
Jul 27th, 2019, 01:06 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks. We will google your suggestions.
Jul 28th, 2019, 07:29 PM

With 4 weeks, you could spend 1 1/2 weeks on the Stellenbosch/PE trip and 2 1/2 weeks in KwaZulu Natal.

Without a budget, it’s hard to help with recommendations. I prefer the fully equipped guest houses in S Africa so we can make meals when we choose to, eat out when we choose to. Plus snacks, drinks, etc. Storms River, in the ocean view accommodations in the National Park, are excellent. Fly from PE to Durban.

I like Princes Grant and Zimbali (though no swimming at their beach, but plenty of pools, etc) for a stay on the coast. Or one of the coastal towns like Umhlanga or Balito in a guest house or condo rental. Or an exclusive beach holiday at Thonga Beach Lodge in the gorgeous iSimangaliso Wetland Park. In addition to a beach holiday, St Lucia is a fun town to do lots of fun activities and explore the eastern and western shores of iSimangaliso. The drive to Cape Vidal is stunning! The hippo/croc boat tour is great fun and you can horseback ride on the beach or bush. Stay at least 2 nights, 3 is better.

The battlefields are not my thing. Please remember the Zulu were defending their homeland. Rorkes Drift is popular and they do tours.

There are a few excellent game reserves in KZN. Phinda is the most established and very nice, high end service and accommodations (and rate). Great game viewing. I go to Manyoni Reserve on our trips - we love it and have been visiting every couple of years. We were there this past May and our game viewing was excellent, our best yet! Rhino River Lodge and Leopard Mountain Lodges are both very nice, highly recommended. Rhino Sands, a new lodge last year, is beautiful. Choose the one that best meets your needs in your budget. There’s also Tembe Elephant Park. It’s owned and staffed by the local community - the Tembe Tribe. It’s a very nice lodge and reserve. Go check out the webcam but be careful as it can be addictive. Whichever you choose, you’ll have a great time. 3 nights minimum for any private game reserve lodge.

So 3 nights in Stellenbosch, 1-2 nights Agulhas or Hermanus, 2 nights Knysna or Wilderness, 2 nights Storms River, 1 night PE before early flight. Fly Durban, 3 nights for the battlefields and the midlands meander, drive to St Lucia for 3 nights for all of the fun, 3- 5 nights Thonga or Princes Grant (or another great beach town or coastal estate - lots of great golf courses too) and 3 nights in Manyoni or other game reserve (or 2!). Drive to Johannesburg via Giants Castle for a couple of nights in the mountains for the San Rock Art and beautiful scenery.
Jul 29th, 2019, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your reply. I will check out your suggestions.
We want a good standard game lodge probably close to the top end of the price bracket.
The other hotels are more functional so guest houses will be fine.
Thanks again
Jul 29th, 2019, 11:28 AM

I can second the recommendation for Phinda, we stayed in the Phinda Forest Lodge, the game viewing, rangers etc were fantastic as was the food, accommodation etc. If I went back I think I'd try the Mountain Lodge, the Forest Lodge is very nice and very unusual, being in a sand forest but I prefer a more open feeling. We also had 3 nights at Kirkmanns Kamp in Sabi Sands near Kruger which I loved, it was fantastic and I'd go back in a heart beat. Both companies owned by And Beyond which has an ethos that I admire. No plastic bottles allowed or found anywhere on site, both camps had water bottling facilities with water provided in glass bottles, as well as good community relations, employment opportunities, school building etc.
Jul 30th, 2019, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the recommendations.
Lots to consider.