Search

Masai Mara to Serengeti Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Masai Mara to Serengeti Travel

Hello....

We are planning a trip to East Africa next year August as a family, our kids our young but seasoned travelers at 5 & 8. We are keen to watch the migration in August. Our initial thoughts are to go to the Masai Mara region and then head to the Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Crater. We would be in the Masai Mara region for 3-4 days and thought we could do the Serengeti for 3-4 days. From there we plan on going to Seychelles.

I would like to know:
- Is it easy to get to the Serengeti from the Masai Mara region. We would only do air travel. Is clearing customs difficult? Would we need to go back to Nairobi or can we do scheduled flights or chartered flights from the Masai Mara to Serengeti.
- Would you recommend we do both regions or should we stay put in the Masai Mara region and do Amboseli National Park?

I look forward to your well heeled advice....
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 06:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I can’t help you with logistics on getting from Mara to Serengeti as I’ve never done it. I met a couple in the Mara last year who did the transfer by air and it did eat up most of their day; something to keep in mind with little kids. It’s not the most fun thing in the world to do for little minds.

The Maasai Mara and Serengeti are the exact same eco-system just with a different name when you cross the country border. What are you hoping to see in one or the other? Is there a reason you want to visit both? Is it the migration at that time of year? The wildlife will be the same but for where the vast number of herds are typically found that time of year (although that has been quite variable the last couple years too and there are no promises with Mother Nature)

Personally with two young kids and the limited amount of time on the ground, I”d stick to one country and maybe two camps, three tops. I don’t know of any camps that do things for young children (and indeed some may have a minimum age to even consider having your children there). I’d get in touch with a good safari planner and have them sketch out an itinerary or two for you. They may know of camps that have lots of fun stuff for kids and point you toward those.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 11:14 PM

It is very possible indeed from maasai Mara you can board the domestic aircraft and land in serengeti(soronera) or the small airport in Arusha and start the tour to serengeti and Ngorongoro.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 03:08 AM

Hmm... I doubt that the Seronera airstrip has customs and immigration facilities for international flights. Some years ago I flew from Arusha to Seronera on a light aircraft, and the pilot had to buzz the grass airstrip to scare off a herd of Grant’s gazelle. There was a rough road between the Mara and Serengeti, but last I heard the border there was closed for non-citizens of the two countries, and travellers had to cross the border at Namanga. Again, this is old info, so you will have to check.

Last edited by Heimdall; Jul 25th, 2019 at 03:14 AM.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 07:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
As I said above, the couple who I met in the Mara said it's not as straightforward as it would seem either by vehicle or plane. My recollection is that they took at least two flights and that there was a lengthy wait between them. I wasn't paying attention at the time but remember them complaining about "losing most of the day" getting from their camp in the Serengeti to us in the Mara. I did confirm that there's no vehicle transfer for safari guests. My guide in the Mara said it's ridiculous that guides can drive to and meet at the border and talk to each other but cannot transfer guests that way.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 09:02 PM

It is this way the Masai mara national park borders Serengeti but it is divided internatinal border of Tanzania and Kenya so it is not possible for one to cross Serengeti from Masai mara in Kenya unless uses an air craft or goes to the Namanga border where the check in and check outs between Tanzania and Kenya take place then you can come in Arusha town and decide whether board an aircraft to Seronera in Serengeti or by a 4 x 4 car from Arusha then had to Ngorongoro and Serengeti

thank you
Fred
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 07:11 AM

It is possible!

It is very possible to do both countries. And since you are using aircraft, it will be much earlier. You can fly to Serengeti from Nairobi, back to Nairobi and take the flight to Arusha.

I don't want to this to appear promotional but I have done this many times . Flight to and from Mara and then flight to Amboseli National Park. And then crossed into Tanzania by road through Namanga. You didn't mention Amboseli, but it is something you can think about if you have more time. Safari Link, operates flights that connects almost all parks in Kenya.

Whether you cross by road through Namanga or by air to Arusha, you can easily connect to Serengeti. A flight to Seronera airstrip is the best option but you need to fly to Arusha first since seronera has no immigration facilities. Flightlink has some of the best flights from Arusha to Serengeti.

Let me know if you have any questions.

All the best
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 01:19 PM

Hi. We have taken our kids on safari to Kenya twice. They were older than your children. May I suggest Sosian, Laikipia Wilderness CAmp or Borana or one of the lodges in Laikipia for some varied activities for your children first and then head to the Mara for a pure safari?