Cape Town

May 6th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Cape Town

My husband and I will be flying out of Dallas to Capetown on Wednesday. (Not one stop obviously). I have a couple of questions for those of you who have been to Capetown; Is Robben Island a must see as well as going to the top of Table Top Mountain? Also, we will be staying at the Victoria and Albert Hotel on the waterfront. Any suggestions for good places to eat. We like all kinds of foods and are willing to experiment. Thanks for your help.

Nancy W.
May 6th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Nancy
I'd definitely suggest that you do a search on this forum for previous posts about Cape Town as there's a HUGE HUGE wealth of information, tips and thoughts here.
Personally, Robben Island was an ABSOLUTE must see for me during my visit to Cape Town in 2004. South Africa's history has had such a hand (good and bad) in shaping the country today that I think to miss out on things like Robben Island is to short-change yourself in truly seeing everything South Africa has to offer.
That said, it is, above all else, YOUR trip and you should prioritise the many, many things to do according to your personal preferences.
How long do you have in CT?
May 6th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Table Mountain and Robben Island are must sees. I hope you get a good guide at Robben Island as this will enhance the experience.

The thing about Table Mounatain is you're at the mercy of the weather. The day we arrived was quite foggy. The next day was clear as a bell so we quickly jumped to Table Mountain for a miles and miles view in all directions. You might want to plan on a swing day or two so you can run up the mountain if it's clear or have an alternative plan if not.

We did a Cape Town to Cape Point all day tour, Robben Island, Table Mountain, Stellenbosch Gardens, and the Winelands. There are so many things to do you should allow enough time and certainly won't have a problem filling your time with worthwhile activities.

We played a bit loose, schedule wise, and arranged for a guide through the Welgelegan House where we stayed. We had allowed for a few days to work in the things we wanted to see. I don't know if this will always work out - it did for us.
May 6th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Yes, you MUST see Robben Island. The tour is well done. Our guide was a former political prisoner and shared many insights. It was a very moving visit. Table Mountain is fabulous, but you must be dressed appropriately for the cold winds and prepared to do some short hikes around the top to see the various views. As for restaurants, we loved Baia, fabulous seafood resturant on the waterfront, as well as Five Flies (small plates format) and the Savoy Cabbage. The last two are in City Bowl and will require a taxi at night, which your hotel can arrange for you (pickup after dinner as well). I believe all of these restaurants have websites.

May 6th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Didn't visit Robben Island. Made it atop Table Mountain when the tablecloth disappeared. Did visit Cape Point, Kirstebosch Gardens, Chapman's Peak, the Winelands and a day shark cage diving (him, not me). A must see though is the District 6 Museum.

There's lots to see and do in the CPT vicinity, and plenty of choices for eats in/around the waterfront.
May 7th, 2007, 03:20 AM

Table Mountain is a MUST, I can not offer advice on Robben Island since I haven't been there yet. About restaurants you should definitely try 'Africa Café' nice food and ambience plus you'll have the chance to experiment all kinds of african food there, book in advance (+27 21 422 0221).
Enjoy your trip !!!