Search

campsite bookings

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2007, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
campsite bookings

Is anyone able to tell me how many months in advance we are able to make bookings in Moremi (North Gate, Xakanaxa) and Chobe (Savuti and Ihaha)...12 months prior to the month you will arrive in the parks? or 11 months? When would I be able to book campsites for August 2008? Thanks!
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Hi there I think you asked this one a wee while ago, but SD should have made all your bookings for you. To put your mind at rest, when you arrive, they give you a full trip book with all the paperwork in it which you'll need to present at the park gate posts and the green one will show you your allocated campsite pitch numbers. At the gate posts they'll then go through a ritual of paperwork completion and exchange to confirm back to you your pitch number. First time around you might find it a bit of a bind, but I soon got into it and found it a great opportunity to have a chat with whoever was there. Now I'm back in 'chip n pin' plastic card UK I miss the carbon copies and form-filling and I can feel myself walking past office stationnary shops feeling a strange pull to go inside and investigate what receipt pads they do in triplicate.
Have fun
WD
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks WD! I must admit that I chuckled when I read in your trip report your description of everything in carbon triplicate at the gates - we too will have to adjust and slow down to their pace - this will be a good thing!

By the way - we added an extra night at Xakanaxa campsite after reading your report so that we would have lots of time for the boat trip. We are looking forward to it!

I guess I am a little worried about the campsites because I hear they fill up very quickly in August and we still have not received confirmation from SD that we have all of the campsite dates that we requested - still waiting to hear from them. Everything out of the parks is confirmed - Motsentsela and Ichobezi for example, but not the campsites - not sure why the delay!
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 04:11 AM

Hi CR - its me again - if you're going to Xakanaxa campsite take a look at our pics, if you'd like:

http://www.flickr.com/gp/78692643@N00/76N4G2

WD
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Hello Kathy! What great photos - ellie seems a tad close! Gulp! Looks like a lovely campsite. Can't wait to do the boat trip. Love the tablecloth with the guinea fowl! Roof of the vehicle must make a great viewpoint - will have to remember that! Wish I could go to Botswana tomorrow - cold and wet here in Calgary today - winter is coming! Robin