Search

camera hep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camera hep

We are going on our first trip to Africa in December. I discovered this site when our plans were just finalized. I think that it is amazing and if I had known about it prior to making our plans all my question would have been answered. I really appreciate all the great informationthat people share and have learned so much about Africa.
I Ned to buy a camera this week as I am taking a photo course in prep for the trip and want to know if anyone has heard of the Panasonic TZIS? It is new -only a 10opt. zoom and 5mgp.,but small and easy to carry around for general use. Can buy the FZ7 or 30, as well,but was wondering if the TZIS will serve our needs for Safari.
Thanks for any help.
Patrissimo
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 10:36 PM

I have searched for info on the Panasonic TZIS and can not find it. Are you sure it is a TZIS? Maybe has a different name than where you are (Italy?) Try to find it on this web site and the name of it. site is - http://www.dpreview.com/
It is a great site for digital camera inforamation.
regards - tom
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your response. It is the TZ1. The web site that you gave is terrific! Do you feel after reading the camera reveiw that it will be good enough for our Safari? It has no manuel controls. I love the compact size, but really don't know what I need to get good pictures.
Thanks for your help.
Patrissimo
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Patrissimo
drpreview is indeed a fabulous website and very helpful when comparing a number of models.
If you click on Buying Guide in the left menu and then Side-by-Side you can select the three Panasonic models you are considering and compare their features on one page - makes it easier.
Their full model names are:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1

I like either of the first two better - they have a longer reach with the zoom plus more megapixels (which means that even if you don't get quite close enough with the zoom you can crop the picture digitally when you get home and yet still have enough data left to produce a decent sized print).
They also have manual focus which can be very useful when shooting animals in long grass or in trees - autofocus can often get confused and focus on the grass or tree branches instead and it's handy to be able to switch into manual to make sure focus is on the animal itself.
Only the FZ30 has a hotshoe to take an external flash so if you were intending to do any night time shooting that may be a factor. Onboard flashes are usually weaker than external flashes and will only illuminate animals within a few feet of the camera - you'll have to check to find out the exact distance.
Only the first two give you aperture and shutter priorities - perhaps not of interest for a beginner but you may find the added control they give you useful as you learn more. I use aperture priority when I want a nice shallow depth of field (i.e. when the foreground subject is nice and sharp but the background is completely blurred) and I use shutter priority when I want to bump the speed up to capture an animal in motion, for example.
Again, if you're thinking of going further with this, only the first two models offer non-jpeg file formats - this is not something I'd worry about when you're starting out but may be of interest if you get hooked and want to become more advanced - inwhich case it's worth considering now so you don't need to upgrade your camera as soon.

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:50 AM

PS Do note the weight difference - the FZ7 is not massively bigger than the TZ1 but the FZ30 is quite a bit bigger/ heavier.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Ok, found it.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...nic_dmctz1.asp
New camera, came out this February. The 35-350mm zoom range is just about perfect for safari. The 4.9mpixels is fine. It has a movie mode that you might enjoy. The user reviews, sounds like all are happy with it. Price is right. It will take good pictures. But just to repeat the obvious, 80% of the good picture will depend on you. The subject, lighting, composition all are your choices.
The FZ7 or 30 you mention are technically superior cameras. But the TZ1 will do 80% of what they can do. The FZ7 is about $90 more than the TZ1 and is larger. It really mostly depends on how "involved" you want to be with the photographic process. ALso, you will need to get memory cards and spare batteries, so these will also add significant $$$ to the cost (of all digital cameras).
The photo course/class is a great idea. Have fun.
regards - tom
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:14 PM

CAUTION ABOUT Tz1:

The Tz1 is amazingly small for its zoom, but you never get something for nothing. I could live with the 10x zoom versus 12x, but more problematic is the fact that the Tz1 has <b>no electronic viewfinder (EVF)</b>.

If you are accustomed to digital cameras and not too serious this may not be a problem. I just recommended it to a friend as a take anywhere, do most anything camera. Nevertheless, I wouldn't choose it myself because I firmly believe that you get much better results holding an EVF up to your eye than you will holding the camera away from your body and composing your shots with an LCD.

In the end it will come down to how seriously you take the photography aspect of your trip and how the Tz1 feels to you. Also, I don't think the price difference is that large. Checking pricegrabber, the Tz1 is 288.06 delivered and the silver version of the Fz7 is available for around 315 USD. Enjoy your trip!

-Matt
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate the help that you have given me. I wonder if there are any other cameras that you feel that i should check out such as any of the Canons or Sonys etc. I can compare,but I am not sure that I would know what I was comparing,except for the obvious such as weight,optical zoom, megapixels,etc. Although I am definitely a novice ,I do love pictures and maybe this will be the start of a more in depth interest.
again thanks
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:22 PM

You are right 99mkw, no EVF on TZ1. I simply assumed that all cameras have EVF. No EVF is a deal breaker for me, can not recommend it. (I don't understand Panasonic for not having it).
So, we are back looking for a camera with at least 10x zoom.
regards - tom