Camel Rides?

Jan 26th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Camel Rides?

I've heard there are camel rides available at the Giza Pyramids, but they're said to be expensive.

How expensive is expensive?

Along with a selfie with the Pyramids in the background, a picture astride a camel should be a must.
Jan 27th, 2018, 07:26 PM

That is exactly what my husband says. Our trip next month to Cairo will involve a camel ride. I'm not looking forward to it...afraid of heights..but hubby says if we are going all the way there he will ride a camel.
Jan 27th, 2018, 07:37 PM

We rode camels on our trip to Cairo a couple of years ago. There are two kinds of tours; the "official" tours that are government licensed, meaning that the camels are well tended, and the "unofficial" tours by camel owners hoping to earn some money. We toured the pyramids on camelback with a licensed guide.

If I recall, the cost for the three of us to take a ride to the pyramids was around USD100 equivalent; there are longer tours available. I was hesitant at first; the camel kneels for its rider to climb upon, and then it stands up--that's the slightly intimidating part! After that, I loved it. Our camels plodded along, and when we rounded the curve of a dune to see the pyramids--wow. We could not imagine traveling to Cairo and not taking a camel tour of the pyramids.
Jan 29th, 2018, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fourfortravel View Post
We rode camels on our trip to Cairo a couple of years ago. There are two kinds of tours; the "official" tours that are government licensed, meaning that the camels are well tended, and the "unofficial" tours by camel owners hoping to earn some money. We toured the pyramids on camelback with a licensed guide.

If I recall, the cost for the three of us to take a ride to the pyramids was around USD100 equivalent; there are longer tours available. I was hesitant at first; the camel kneels for its rider to climb upon, and then it stands up--that's the slightly intimidating part! After that, I loved it. Our camels plodded along, and when we rounded the curve of a dune to see the pyramids--wow. We could not imagine traveling to Cairo and not taking a camel tour of the pyramids.
That's my feeling, too. There are some things you just have to do in Egypt. One, of course, are the Giza Pyramids and several pictures of me, and my wife with Pyramids in the background. Another is to ride a camel, the mighty Ship of the Desert..

I'm indifferent about Cairo. My main interest is the dahabiya cruise from Luxor to Aswan. However if we show our pictures to friends and don't have the obligatory Great Pyramid pix to show them ........... and they will ask "Did you rider a camel?".......

I want our guide to call me Effendi ....... (yes I know .... it's Turkish)

Gawd, I am SO American ......
Jan 29th, 2018, 06:27 AM

You shouldn't be indifferent about Cairo. We hired a private guide for our few days, a remarkable woman with a history degree and who was licensed, and that made a great deal of difference in how we experienced the city. If you find the time, please take a look at my trip report; perhaps you will become less indifferent.

https://www.fodors.com/community/afr...cairo-1092349/
Jan 16th, 2019, 10:55 AM

Camel Ride

official price per other forums is 100 Pounds Egyptian, about $6 USA. For one half hour.
Prices are posted at the site. Knew before you go.