Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Camcorder vs smartphone video vs still digital camera?

Camcorder vs smartphone video vs still digital camera?

Jun 27th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Camcorder vs smartphone video vs still digital camera?

We'll be making our 4th trip to South Africa in August and trying to decide whether or not to go buy a new video camera or just rely on smartphones and our numerous Panasonic Lumix digital cameras for our safari videos. On our past trips we've always had a designated video camera and other cameras for "still" shots. My daughters insist that their phones (iPhone 4S & Android) and/or "still" cameras are all we need for videos but I worry about memory space and battery usage. In the past we have filmed at least 6-8 hours of video (over a 14 day period). Am I just old in thinking I need a separate video camera? If not, any recommendations?
Jun 27th, 2012, 03:51 PM

I have millions of hours of good video from several African safaris. The only time I really watched them was when I transferred them to conventional DVD. Friends would watch 5 minutes or so. I have also missed really exciting events ( wild dogs running thru the camp) while getting my camera. My memories or short videos are priceless; the DVDs are gathering dust. I think the short videos on your Lumix will just fine!!
Jun 27th, 2012, 07:31 PM

Tough questions, kind of like would you rather drive a Honda, or Ford, or Volvo - 2 door, 4 door, SUV, pickup truck? Or wait, have one expensive car or two medium priced cars? Or a car and a Harley?

Basically, I'd take what has worked for you before and let daughter (and/or anyone else) take what works for them. If you want a new video and/or still came, get it. (I have no recommendations there - we're back to the car questions!!)

regards - tom
Jun 28th, 2012, 03:22 AM

My only feedback would be that the iPhone's won't be able to give you the zoom that a video camera would, nor may it have an in built stability function. We normally travel with one video camera, and one SLR. When I have used my iPhone, quality has been poor. I only use the iPhone if I want to up load a photo/video immediately.
Jun 28th, 2012, 09:39 AM

I'm going to be "brave" on this year's safari and just use my Canon SX-40 for shooting videos, rather than taking my separate, stand-alone Sony Handicam. The Canon shoots HD video and looks okay on my computer, although the panning shots seem to be a bit "jerky". I always shoot videos, but have yet to get around to editing them. One day...
Jun 28th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! Roadwarrior you bring up a very good point, I hadn't thought of the lack of good zoom on the phones. I,like many people never edited my videos and only relived them immediately after coming home BUT, I am still glad I have them. It sounds like I can use my Lumix for the videos and be ok. Does anyone know how taking videos with my "still" camera (Lumix) is going to affect the battery life? Should the battery in my Lumix last as long as a regular video camera battery? I guess I'll also have to make sure I have plenty of memory available if I'm taking both still and videos with it.

Search this Thread