Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you have a favorite video camera...as in willing to lug with you on your travels?

Do you have a favorite video camera...as in willing to lug with you on your travels?

Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a video camera soon and wondered if you all had one you absolutely loved soo much you take it with you on your travels. I'm leaning toward the mini DVD kind, and feel I might as well go for the HD versions, (I don't know why, must be subliminal messaging).
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:09 PM

Hi sb123,

We just bought a canon digital camera that takes both photos and excellent video. We can easily burn movies to a DVD using our mac. Just another option to think about-- digital cameras have come a long way!

Liz
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:10 PM

My Canon SD630 digital camera takes perfectly acceptable videos and hardly weighs a thing.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:24 PM

I second the Canon. I used my son's camera for our Italy trip and am amazed at the quality of the video - even in the evening. I purchased software to edit the video and made really nice movies of our trip, complete with music and extra pictures.

Also, it is quite lightweight and fit in my Fossil bag with room to spare.

I can't remember the model and am not at home right now. If you are interested, I'll post the model when I return to town on Monday. However, I do know it was not the most expensive one.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:36 PM

A digital still camera will not let you tape a lot of video before you run out of memory.

If one wants to take mostly video, then buy a videocam.

I think the HD camera has come down far enough in price that it's pretty silly to get a standard-definition one now. The main issue is with shooting in HD is how do you show them to others. At your home, no problem, just play it straight. But you cannot burn your HD picture on regular DVD-/+Rs.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:07 PM

I'd also love to know an answer to this question. I started looking for a new camcorder before Christmas for our upcoming trip in March. But the more I researched and looked, the more confused I became so I just gave it up. I've heard that the mini-dv's are still the best overall, for editing and quality, but the mini-dvd's are best for convenience. Wish there was ONE best type!
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:15 PM

Hagan - You're correct. For those who are going to edit their video - either on a computer or a DVD-burner with HDD - go with the tape. For those who just want to take the disc out and play it directly, go with the mini-DVD.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:30 PM

Well I love my little sony cam corder. I pop in a little dvd....shoot till its full, take 2 minutes to finalize and then pop in a new dvd..and keep going. I charge the battery at nite w/ an adapter in my room and have an extra charger as well. I carry a small cd case and store the dvds there as I travel for a month to 6 weeks at a time. When I come home all the dvd's are together and I watch them on my pooter or my dvd player in the den. I"m 63, just want to point and shoot and could care less about editing and all that. Im very happy w my set up!
Feb 18th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Tim_Liz, which Canon Video Camera did you buy? We also have a Mac

Feb 18th, 2007, 08:51 AM

Princess-

It's a digital camera that takes still shots and video. We bought the Powershot SD800 IS Digital Elph.

Feb 18th, 2007, 10:07 AM

I have a JVC GR-DVP3 that I have taken hours of travel videos (and hundreds of stills) over the past five years. Just purchased a three hour battery which is great. The JVC fits in my pocket or hangs inside my shirt when not in use.

Jinx Hoover