Calling Mac Users

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Calling Mac Users

Seriuosly contemplating the switch to Mac for home use. I am thinking a notebook, so I can work on video and be in the same room as DW. (Current desktop set up does not allow that, with the result that I never get on with it).

Questions - which Pro product would you buy?
Is iMovie good enough or would you go to Final Cut Express?

DW currently uploads photos to Picasa (provided with Canon) then on to snapfish for printing, or Kodak Gallery to share with you all. Would she see any degredation in her ability to complete these tasks?
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 12:51 PM
cw

Can't really help with movies, but we became a MAC household last Spring. I have the 15 inch Mac book pro and I absolutely love it.

I put my photos on Kodak through the iPhoto mac program. I do have a Canon printer and camera but didn't use any of that software. I did put my digital cards in a sandisk reader and loaded them from that.

I'm no computer expert at all, so you will undoubtedly get more informed opinions.

CW

P.S. The Mac support people I spoke with when I was setting up our wireless network were very earnest and helpful. They all sounded like young American teenagers who spend all of their time with computers.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 01:02 PM

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 01:21 PM

We just bought an imac desktop and my boyfriend LOVES it. We bought it as he makes a bunch of documentaries and does a lot with photos---and a Mac is just superior in those areas. He bought Final Cut Express and has just started working with it and is liking it a lot. It seems to be superior to imovie, but it is more complicated. He had previously been using windows movie maker, and said that Final Cut Express has a much nicer finishing product...allowing you to burn a DVD with chapters, title pages, etc.

I would advise buying an external harddrive to store your movies and pictures...they aren't too expensive. It's also nice because we've taken all our music from the PC and put it on the external harddrive and then downloaded onto the new mac's itunes.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 01:21 PM

All the videos that I have posted here have been edited using imovie. It is very easy to use and does all the things I require very well. I have got Final Cut Pro but the learning curve has so far put me off. I would rather be editing than learning!

Can't comment on 3rd paragraph software except most are pc only. Saying that osx system software and iphoto are compatible with most cameras.

Go to an apple shop for advice...
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

One last question - anybody transferred Quicken data from PC to Mac?
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 02:32 PM

I use both Mac & PC.

I love Final Cut Pro, once you get over that first hump, it is really easy... for the basics anyway.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 08:54 PM

I love my Mac. I don't have much experience with iMovie, but have found iPhoto and iDVD to be user friendly and very comprehensive.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:09 AM

We also have both PC and Mac. Mac is the way to go for video editing. I agree with Wayne, Final Cut Pro is great. It's worth having all the tools at your disposal.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Sitting here at work, the new MacBook Pro just arrived. Shipped Monday from Shanghai, arrived 10am St Helena CA.

Now I need an excuse to head out early, maybe I'll go and see how the Christmas decorations are coming down at the Robert Mondavi Tasting Room.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.