Search

Help! Using My Canon S2

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Using My Canon S2

Hi Tom, Cary, and all you other S2 users out there. Tom, I hope you're not in Yosemite now!
I've been diligently studying the instruction book and have the basics down snapping, viewing, erasing, flash, zoom) but lots of questions.
1. Is Auto the best setting or do you change the setting for each shot? Is there a big difference in photo quality between auto and special settings?
2. I set it to Fine resolution, per Tom's advice, but I don't really understand this.
What does this actually mean?
3. Also set the resolution on Large, per instruction book, but don't understand this either. Is this just for printing or does it matter when shooting? And does this mean I can only get large images?
4. The only way I can find # of pics left is to press "Function". Is there another way so that it automatically appears after each shot?
5. The 1GB cards I bought say you get 279 compressed images per card with a 5MP camera. I thought you could get many more with the S2. Does it vary that much? I already bought 3, but can't spend any more!!!
6. The instruction book says something about formatting the memory card. Is this necessary and what does it mean?
7. On the settings button, when would you use "SCN" (special scene) setting?

Sorry for all these dumb questions but I'm leaving Friday and want to get the most out of the camera and am getting a little panicky. TIA for any help.
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Hi Panecott -- I'll try to answer one of your questions if you'll answer one of mine!

#3: On digital cameras, the "large" setting does matter when shooting and isn't just about printing. It has to do with the number of pixels in the image regardless of the size you blow the image up to, e.g. usually over 2000x2000 pixels if it's large. (The pixels are like tiny squares that make up the whole image.) If you're shooting something you may someday want to blow up into a larger image (like 8 x 10 inches or more), you definitely want it on large because you want it to have the maximum number of pixels in that shot. If it's just a snapshot of your neighbor's dog or a lamp you're thinking of buying then it can be on the smallest number of pixels. Larger files take up more space and take more time to e-mail, etc. But if you take it as "large" you can always change it into a smaller one later for e-mailing -- but if you take it as "small" you can never add more pixels to it later.

I hope I explained that right and if I didn't then I know someone here will correct me.

Now what I want to know about the S2 is how is the shutter lag? One of the things I don't like about a lot of digital cameras compared to film is that when you press the shutter there is a lag time before it takes the picture. Is this true with the S2?
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense. One more question. Does the "L" setting also affect computer images? E.g., if I put them onto the computer, will they be full screen regardless of the setting size? I love the pictures that take up the whole screen and that's what I want.I probably won't print out too many.

To answer your question, there seems to be a lag, but it's barely perceptible, less than a second, I think. I'm just getting the feel of this camera, and sometimes it feels that there's no lag at all. Probably a matter of getting just the right amount of pressure.
I've only used one other digital camera, an old Olympus hand-me-down from my brother, which had a lag of about 2 seconds. The S2 is nothing like that.

BTW, in # 2 in my first post, I meant to say Fine compression, not resolution.
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Panecott-

I'm not an S2 owner but I can address several of your questions from a general digital camera standpoint under you can get more expert advice. Check out these S2 reviews for more detail on some of these points:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S2IS/S2ISA.HTM
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...hot_s2-review/

1. When you are starting out, Auto is probably best. Photo "quality" should be the same across modes, but different modes will impact how you capture motion. Quality should only be affected if a mode changes the ISO to a higher number (this will give a noisier image). AS you become more advanced, you can use shutter priority (Tv) to freeze or blur motion.

2. The quality settings Fine vs Superfine tell the camera how much it can compress the image files. Compressed files ('normal' setting) take up less room but could have degradation of image quality. If you're worried about space on the camera keep it on fine as Tom recommended.

3. Lisa is correct. The next resolution step on the S2, Medium 1, takes a 3 megapixel picture instead of 5 MP. Again, if memory space is an issue you could probably get away with Medium 1 most of the time. I have blown up several 3 MP photos to 8x10" with good results. the Large setting is helpful in that you could enlarge part of the picture through cropping and still have enough pixels for a sharp photo.

4. Try hitting the DISP button, which will display more or less info on the screen. In the reviews I see a number in the lower right corner but I don't know if that's shots remaining or shots taken.

5. I read different things about how big the files should be but the consensus seems to be 1.4mb for a Large-fine, which would be almost 700 pictures on a 1 gb card. You could get over 1000 pictures on the Medium 1-fine setting.

6. Most cards I have bought work right out of the box with no formatting, but there could be some benefit to having the camera format the card. People commonly use the format function to erase the entire card after dwonloading the images to a computer.

7. Check out the imaging resource link above for an explanation of the SCN modes.

-Matt
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:37 PM

Lisa-

Click on my name for some previous posts comparing the Canon to some of the compact Panasonic ultra-zoom cameras. Here are some links comparing speeds, but the most precise is probably from dpreview:

Canon S2
www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/page4.asp
www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S2IS/S2ISDATA.HTM

Panasonic Fz7 or Fz5
www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz7/page4.asp
www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/page4.asp
www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ5/FZ5A8.HTM

For both cameras, shutter lag is negligible when you pre-focus. You just hold the shutter half-depressed until the animal sticks its tongue out or whatever you want to capture. The high-speed focus modes on the Panasonics are generally regarded as faster than the Canon, but the Canon has other advantages. Click my screen name or do a search for Fz7 or Fz5 for some threads discussing this. Ultimately, however, you should just try both out and get the one that feels better in your hands.

-matt
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Matt. Your information is invaluable, as are the links. So much easier to understand than the camera manual.
I'm starting to feel like I can do this!
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:37 AM

Panecott -- The Large setting has nothing to do with the dimensions of the image; it has to do with how many pixels are in the image regardless of the dimensions you are displaying it at or printing it as. In other words, a "Large" image will have the same number if pixels in it whether you are looking at it as a "thumbnail" size image or full-screen on your computer. The dimensions of the images can always be manipulated to make the dimensions of it larger or smaller while the number of pixels stay the same.
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Lisa. I'm beginning to understand digital, little by little, and thanks to you, I now know what a pixel is!
I was out for a few hours today trying out the camera and was delighted with the results. Even the 12x zoom photos were clear and sharp. I think it'll work just fine on safari.
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:10 PM

Hi panecott,
We just (9pm Sunday) back from Tempe, AZ (near Phoenix). And tomorrow morning (Monday) headign straight away for Yosimite, I wna to get there for the afternoon light. One of the main reasons I'm going is to paly with my new Nikon D200 and lenses. So, I haven't been thinking too much ablut the S2, although, my wife is taking hers.
1) For safari, leave it on Auto. AND, check thetaht dial occasionally to be sure it has not been bumped off of Auto. If it should be bumped over to "flower"
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:38 PM

Hi panecott,
Ooops, did something to post the above, not ready, never mind, start all over please.
We just (9pm Sunday) got back from Tempe, AZ (near Phoenix). And tomorrow morning (Monday) heading straight away for Yosemite, I want to get there for the late afternoon light. One of the main reasons I'm going is to play with my new Nikon D200 and lenses. So, I haven't been thinking too much about the S2, although, my wife is taking hers.
Not dumb questions. It is the camera (computer) that is dumb. It knows only one way to do things, and that is probably not how you would like to do it!!!!
1) For safari, leave it on Auto. And, check that dial occasionally to be sure it has not been bumped off of Auto. Although shooting in "P" is quite Ok, it's basically like "Auto". Also, if you want the S2 to flash, like maybe you're indoors, you MUST manually raise the flash first. Then (in Auto mode) it will decide to flash or not. This can be puzzling if you are used to a camera the has the flash on the front.
2,3) Sounds like that has been covered.
4) The "Disp" button on the back should toggle to give you the # of pics info. It also toggles for the back LCD or the eye EVF. Yes???
5) The card package info is very general, don't pay any attention to it. With those S2 "fine" and "L" settings I think I remember something around 600 photos per gig. I just looked at the file size (bytes) of the photos we took. It varies but 1,500,000 bytes, or 1.5 mega bytes, or 1.5MB, is about average (some smaller some bigger). So do the math, for 1gig card thats 600 plus photos. The pictures you have already taken, find them on your computer, they are jpg types, find their size. What do you find? Your 3gig cards should get you 1,500 to 2,000 photos. And each evening you can review them and delete, "trash" the obviously worthless ones.
6) Format each/every new card in the camera before you use it. This helps to insure card compatibility with the camera. Just do it, takes 30 seconds one time.
7) SCN. We don't use it. If you set it there you will see on the LCD words like "foliage", "snow" this is to assist in difficult lighting situations or to make colors more vivid. And, we don't use the other settings like "portrait", "mountain". Experiment with those at you leisure. One danger in using them is that you may forget that the camera is on that special SCN setting, don't take it off, and then mess up later pictures.
And also-
Shutter lag, very good advice on pressing the button half way. This sets and locks the focus and exposure so that when you press the shutter all the way the lag is gone. Otherwise, when you press it completely the camera first focuses and sets exposure before firing. May not be a big deal because as you said it is very quick either way.
And one other thing about focusing, the S2 sometimes likes to focus on the first vertical lines it sees. Which may not be what you want.
The S2 is a mighty fine camera and one reason is all of the options/choices you have with it. It is overwhelming at first. I probably know only 20% of its capabilities. My wife probably knows 3%. The basic set up will get you great photos 95% of the time. So don't get too worried. Myself, I have to learn by doing. I start playing with the camera and as it shows me how dumb it is, I try to figure it out. Maybe even read the manual!!!! You've heard in answer to a question - RTFM?? RTFM - Read The Foolish Manual. Although some people use another word instead of "foolish".
CarlaM and others, what have you found good to use on the S2?
Have a great time on safari.
Gotta go, try to get some sleep for tomorrow.
regards - tom

Old May 7th, 2006, 11:12 PM

Hi

A lot of questions I have the S1 by the way.

1. I use the different settings. Sometimes auto but when I want to take a picture of a person close up I use the portrait mode. I also use the landscape a lot. But try to take the same picture with different setting and see how they turn out

2/3 - I have my camera set to take the pictures at the best resolution. You can scale them down later on.

Good luck with the camera I have posted some of my pics taken with the S1 on my homepage

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Tom. (And, Carla, sorry I mixed you up with Tom/Cary in the first post!).
I'm going to print out this thread, along with the info on Matt's link and take it with me. It'll keep me occupied for at least part of the long flight. Have a great time in Yosemite and enjoy your new toy.

Thank you, Gard. I loved your photos of my home town. Great shot of the BB cables.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:05 PM

Hang in there, I was in your shoes. I took an afternoon and just read through the manual one feature at a time. As you read a feature in the manual, try it on the camera, it really isn't that hard. If I can do it anyone can! Also try taking a photo of the same subject using different settings. Write down what setting you used so when you view it you can see what works best. It all comes along in time...trust me.
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:09 PM

Forgot to mention... practice as much as you can with the movie mode before you start your trip. I didn't and looking back wished I had. My movies were just ok and it's a really great feature on this camera as Tom has posted. Also, don't delete any photos until you can see them on a full size screen. Its amazing how many I "corrected" once I got home with photoshop. What is your trip itinerary? Please share your photos when you get back! Have a great time.
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:53 PM

I agree about the movie mode! i forgot i had it was on my camera until the last day, i got a good 30 seconds of an elephant mock charging us and wish i had more!
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:15 PM

One more thing you should realise - you cannot shoot well at night or in very low light on Auto, without the flash. So if you want to be ready to do night wildlife shots (which the S2 can actually do reasonably well) you need to practice with the manual mode (you can do it with Av or Tv modes but it doesn't work quite as well for me). Any good photography book will tell you how to set your camera but you can actually just use the vertical and/or horizonal arrows you use for scrolling around pictures to change the settings once you are in mode and the image in the viewfinder will show roughly whether you need more light or not.

Just try it and you'll work it out... but your end results will not look as good as they did in teh monitor I'm afraid
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:20 PM

Yes movie mode is good to have but it gobbles up your card space double quick, so don't use it much unless you still have a spare card in the bag.

One more thing Panecott .... try using the continuous shooting mode to take pics of moving objects, especially if you are on Auto setting (was it poster lisa above who pointed that one out to me?). Works great - at night too (but with very limited success on Auto)
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the encouragement, Carla. I at least feel comfortable now with the basics, even if I won't be able to get really artistic on this trip. But I'll keep studying.

One thing about the movie mode. I actually took some Sunday in the park. I held the camera still and took some passing skateboarders, cyclists, etc, and then I tried it like a camcorder, and followed the motion. It looked fine on playback so I'm assuming it's okay to use it like a camcorder -- or maybe it's intended to be used that way? In any event, all I did was press the red button to start and stop. Should I do anything else at this point?
I'll be on safari for 3 weeks, 2 in Namibia and one in Botswana, with 2 days in Capetown and 2 in Vic Falls at the end, so it's a long trip. Not too long, I hope!
I'll be delighted to share my photos when I get back, but will need a whole other education on that too!
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kimburu,
Thanks for the tip on "continuous" setting. When I was fiddling with the camera, I actually set it on continuous, without knowing what it meant. I did take some stills of people in motion in the park and they came out great. I was amazed at how clear they were. So the setting was undoubtedly the reason.

Old May 9th, 2006, 10:44 AM

What speed SD card are you using with the S2?